1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want your absoulute best recipies!!

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Crabby_Crazy, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    I just made almond honey popcorn, and i hope the hermies like it!:D Dose anyone else have any awsome recipes?!?! Not something to hard though, theres only so much a 14yr old girl can do in the kitchen without adult supervision, and my parents dont exactly 'love' my hermies enough to go around baking fish heads for them. I can use the michrowave and stuff, but usind the stove is something i cant do. :rolleyes: Oh, and what is your hermies fav foods? im giving them bits of everything latley. they go nutty for nuts!!:D

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Nuts are generally a hit in mine too. My most recent favorite food for the crabs (well, their most recent favorite food?) was honey pork chop. I cut a small piece, put it on a saucer with a little bit of veggie oil and then covered it in honey (we have orange blossom honey). Microwaved for like...15 seconds or so until the pork was cooked and gave it to them. They took it halfway across the tank.

Come to think about it, they've been enjoying meat much more. Plain steak the other day was taken around the tank, and so was the ground turkey last night. They've always torn into my lime-olive oil shrimp (saute shrimp in olive oil, sprinkle with lime and a bit of lime pulp, freeze until needed). I made a pound of it almost a year ago, froze them all individually, and put them in the Ziploc bag I use to hold my frozen crab foods. Those are always torn apart, mangled, and usually out of the food bowl. Now I've been offering them with a shrimp exo (we buy the unpeeled shrimp, so I save the peels, put them in a mug/bowl, cover with water, and microwave until they're pink) and they're even a bigger hit. That's their fresh food for tonight - shrimp with more shrimp exo!

3. Crabby_Crazy

Ya, im getting one of the varitey packs, and a 'build a mix' from the addiction store. and then some other weird foods, ith a dried octupuss ahah

4. emmac350

I'm getting a dried octopus too! I already have a squid...I'm totally addicted to strange foods for my crabs. :) Oh well...such is life. Sometimes I wonder if the crabs are controlling my brain when I'm coming up with foods for them...because there are some strange things that I've found they love (like dried cephalopods)!

5. Crabby_Crazy

And i have a question....how big really are these things from the addiction?

6. emmac350

My squid was like...6-8 inches long from top to tentacle tip? Something like that...I cut it up as soon as I got it, though, so I don't remember for sure.

7. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Heres another one of my recipes:
    Cheesey rice stuffed tomatoes:
    100% Organic cheese About a 1 inch block
    3 large cherry tomatoes
    1/4 cup cooked wild rice

Melt the cheese and mix it with the rice and then cut the tomatoes in half and stuff them.

8. Crabby_Crazy

ohhh shound good enough fro me!! hah! i might try that if my mom buys regular tamatoes, ans then i will just mix them all together, not stuff them. And, i ment the little baggies from the addiction.

9. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Tropical fish flakes and coconut shreds mixed together with hamburger meat and romaine lettuce??? LOL: I don't know what I'm talking about.

10. emmac350

Be careful with fish flakes - look at the ingredients list. Are there any chemicals (especially Copper sulfate or Ethoxyquin or any other other 'chemical' sounding names) listed? If so, those aren't safe. I originally was feeding those to my guys, and stopped as soon as I realized it. Also, coconut you buy pre-shredded in the store has been sweetened...so check that out too. Addiction store stuff is safe, though!

11. Crabby_Crazy

Ya, i dont feed then fish flakes. and,can anyone help?!? i need another 10 worh of stuff from the addiction......................................what should i get?

12. Crabby_Crazy

Anyone?.....

13. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

How about coco huts, more shells, more food, a hermit crab caring book, new food and water dishes, a new swimming pool, etc.

14. emmac350

If I have money to spend, I usually check out the clearance section to get lots of stuff for free, or pick up a can I have a taste pack.

15. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

The lady next to me grows raspberries and honeysuckle, I stole some, well it isnt really stealing because it IS hanging over into my yard lol
    Anyway..took a raspberry leaf and rolled it stuffed with honeysuckle and sealed it closed with a drip of honey. OMG lol they were playing tug o war with it between the 2 coco huts! it was very entertaining!
    (That was just a snack I carved out the end of a fresh eggplant from my garden and filled it with the chopped eggplant, zucchini and some cooked chicken..another big hit, saves me from cleaning a food dish too lol

16. emmac350

Sounds yummy! Tonight the fresh bowl is a bit of boiled broccoli, chicken, and an organic noodle. We'll see how they like it!

17. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Try tortilla chips! Big hit with every crab! At least the ones I now.:D but be prepared. They are a favorite to drag around as well.

18. Pamela_C

Pamela_C (Micro Crab)

I would have thaought that tortilla chips would be too salty. But, I'm sure fresh tortilla flour or corn would be okay.

19. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have some non salted ones hanging around for the crabs. Now that I think of them I should be checking the expiration date on those things.:rolleyes:

20. emmac350

Yeah, non-salted ones only. Check the ingredients list too - if there's anything suspicious, don't offer them (you know, ingredients with umpteen different chemical syllables).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.