1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have Lucky Bamboo, should I worry?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by gweebles, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

I bought a bamboo plant at wal-mart about 5 months ago and have had it in my tank since then. My guys love to hang in it, but now I was reading that it is not the same as bamboo and it can be toxic. It hasn't hurt them, should I take it out?

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Here is a post from Kerie in the LIVE PLANTS thread. It is in the Poison's forum.

Lucky Bamboo is considered inedible because it is very high in oxalic acid, which blocks calcium absorption in crabs and can act as an enema.

There are plenty of plants they can eat safely that you can use, and I suggest you avoid ones on my inedible list entirely. Research has been done on all the plants on that list.\

It's in the FAQ at http://www.epicureanhermit.com

Kerie

It is basically the oxalic acid that poses concern. Since the crabs rely so much on calcium absorption for successful molts, it would be best to avoid plants that have a high oxalic acid content.

3. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Thanks, I am hunting some shade-loving, edible plants to add. I have fake plants, but they aren't edible. My guys don't eat the bamboo, they just hang in it, but I don't want them getting hurt or sick. Has anyone tried the live acquarium plants? I thought about sticking one in a dish of water and adding it to the decor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.