1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have a Cavie!

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by BL00DYMARY, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I got what I thought were three Ruggies for my son's class back in September. I specifically choose them in different colors so that the kids could tell them apart after shell changes. Though since this guy would not come completely out of his shell in the store, I based it on his claw coloring. I never wound up giving them up to the school, which worked out better because they took well over 2 months just to destress in ISO. One of them was particularly shy and has only recently started coming up in the daytime- well I thought he was a rug because his BP has a bi color pattern to it, but his eye stalks and his antenae are bright red, so now I am looking at pictures of cavies online and I think he may be a cavie. Can anyone tell me for sure? Here are some pictures of him:

[​IMG]

2. BL00DYMARY

3. BL00DYMARY

4. BL00DYMARY

5. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Yep, I am thinking that's a Cav as well! Red antennae, and the red eyestalk bases too. And he doesn't have the Ruggie flattened leg, or the stitching on the BP from what I can see. Congrats on your Cav! [​IMG]

6. BL00DYMARY

Yay! I am always on the lookout for a cavie, to think he's been in my tank for months and I had no idea. I am so glad I never gave them up to the preschool now, lol. Maybe tonight I will be able to get a good shot of his BP- but from the pictures I saw online it looks exactly like a cavie bp. I noticed his odd taste in shells also- does anyone know what types of shells I should have in stock for him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.