1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I got mites!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Jennifer Leatherwood, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Well while I was holding one of my crabs I noticed 3 or 4 tiny white bugs and also a slightly larger tan bug. Upon close inspection of the substrate I noticed tons of the tiny white bugs. I'm freaking out. I am going to buy the Hypos. Anyone ue the hypos, Anyone have any suggestions?
    Jenn [​IMG]

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

3. Jennifer Leatherwood

Kerie,
    I read the article and have already ordered the Hypos, I just can't help but to be worried though. Is it really as simple as it sounds? My poor babies!
    Jenn

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I know it sounds too easy. We're all used to the idea that when you get mites you have to stress your crabs by cleaning and bathing over & over again.

Too good to be true? You tell me in about a month to six weeks.

What's your substrate BTW? If you use EE the treatment should work even better than it did in my sand tank.

5. Jennifer Leatherwood

I have 3/4 EE 1/4 sand. These bugs are so tiny they look like a grain of sand or smaller. Could they be anything other than a mite?

6. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

They sound almost like Hypos. They COULD be something other than a mite. But the Hypos are going to eat them regardless. Are they hopping by any chance? Can you get a magnifier on them? If you can make out the number of legs you'll know if they're mites (8) or true bugs (6) which most likely won't hurt your crabs.

They could also be the young, larval stage of the adult mite. They molt and grow just like crabs and other arthropods.

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Jennifer, have you got your Hypos yet? How is it going?

8. Jennifer Leatherwood

I recieved my HYPOS last week and put the first half of the container in the crabitat last sunday, I disposed of my shelf and all of the EE and moss on it, I made 2 new smaller second levels with new moss. I will be putting the other half in tommorrow. I can't really see any bugs, the hypos look just like the mites that I had, maybe I had hypos all along. Yestarday I went looking for a small E that had buried months ago and I found him dead covered in little bugs, can't tell though if they were hypos or mites. My other crabs have none on them or none that I can see. I have had a lrg and a jumbo come up successfully from molts over the last week so I guess the mites didn't bother them. Is it a possibility that petco or their supplier uses hypos and maybe the bugs I had were Hypos all along? I usually get all of my crabs from there. But would the hypos be all over a dead crab like that? I'm so confused I just want them gone.Thanks for asking I'll keep ya posted on the progress.
    Jenn

9. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

No, I really doubt that Petco is advanced enough to use an IPM biocontrol like Hypos. They use mite spray and tetracycline baths, so I just can't see them doing something so proactive and clean as a treatment of Hypos.

I don't think Hypos would be all over the crab unless they were feeding on detritus that was stuck to it. They eat algae and rotting plant material in the absence of prey, but not dead animals, even crabs I should think.

If your original critters are Hypos, they should be dying off in a few weeks. Since you've still got them, I dont' think they're Hypos. But the Hypos will take care of them. Just sit back, relax, and wait for the microscopic war to take all of the critters out by attrition.

All my mites are gone. All my Hypos have died. My tank is clean and I'm happy.

It just takes a little time. The elegant solutions almost always do. [​IMG]

10. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I still have hypos in my tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.