1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with my new land hermit crabs salt water?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by pirtleta, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirtleta

pirtleta Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello and thanks for looking at my question. I just bought API AQUARIUM SALT for my land hermit crabs salt water supply. I was wondering if this is ok and not harmful to my crabs? and how would i use it properly and give them enough salt in the water?

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Is this it: API™ Aquarium Salt 16 oz.

This looks like a treatment for fresh aquarium water. I personally would not use it, you need ocean sea salt, meant for salt water aquariums, I am doubtful of this salt.

If you can return it, I would, and get some salt like Instant Ocean, meant for salt water tanks.

3. pirtleta

what is wrong with salt water ment for fresh water tanks? and i heard that it had to be like sea salt, on the back of the product it says its made from evaporated sea salt.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Not all salts are ok- there is a difference in salt water tank salt and Marine salt. You need a MARINE based salt........Oceanic-red sea-I dont like Instant Ocean but some use it......Catalina etc are ok

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Hermez, may I ask why you don't like instant ocean? I haven't heard anything about it, what's not good about it?

6. pirtleta

everyone keeps saying to use marine salt, but i read that aquarium salt for fresh water tanks is ok too. the marine salt just has more minarals, but hermit crabs dont live in the water so its not that big of a deal. Oh and if it matters my hermit crab is a carribean purple pincher hermit crab.

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

An article written by someone who tested several kinds of salt (The PH) to see what was most suitable to use for crabs:crabstreetjournal.com - A Close Look At Salt Products - Articles - News & Articles

An excerpt:
    Marine salts are more desired for hermit crabs as aquarium salts tend to not even be measureable when used according to directions. Hence, your crabs do not get the salinity that they need, and there is nothing in the salts to stabilize the PH as there is in marine salts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.