1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need big shells!

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Crabby1, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

The crab I just got my son is a jumbo, and I don't have any shells big enough! Where is a good place to get them...either on line or a store.

Thanks~

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Try MacandHunter's online shell shop. He has some with 2" openings. crabbagepatch.com has some, too.

3. MacandHunter

MacandHunter "First Molt In Progress"

Thanks Kathy!

Here is the link to my online store:
    http://www.macsshellshack.com

What sizes do you need exactly? I have my 2 inch and up shells up on the site, but still have some shells around 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 that I need to put up, so let me know if you need any around that size.

All of my shells, even the 2 inch openings are 9.00 or under. :dancin:

4. acrabbymomma

acrabbymomma Guest

:chuckle: :clever66:, I don't know why I did not think of this till now :chuckle:, but i bought two poor jumbos from the pet store at my local mall, They seem to have plenty of room, but I'm at loss at what types of shells to get for my ALL RED jumbo, I think she is a strawberry, she is very outgoing but I'm not sure the proper big shells for them. I think the shells i bough are going to be two big, and I'm not sure how to size them especially for the jumbos, any ideas you might have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you My other jumbo has a pretty purple pioncher i know what type of shell to get for him need to know how to tell how to properly size shells for them so i do not continue wasting money on shells they do not want or refuse to use. Is it normal for crabs to change shells two or three times a day.

5. shmama

shmama Guest

:vinkko:
    My larger straws have only tried on & worn the thick heavy ribbed turbo shells & the tan & brown Tapestry turbo shells ( or either of those kind with carvings in them is fine too). I haven't had a lot of luck myself with shells being the just right with my picky straws. I even file all the sharp edges (if they have them), boil them & then soak them in ocean water. Anyway, you are supposed to measure the existing shells (they are in or just changed from) across the opening & add 1/4 inch to go up to the next size. I always try to get not only a size up but also a size down because sometimes they go into a slightly smaller opening shell, especially if they are going to molt soon (I've heard). Also, straws need a good (as close as possible) 80degree/ 80% Humidity maintained to do well, & plenty of room to get around. They are sweet but it unusual to get one that enjoys being handled much. They will come visit you at the glass alot once they are all settled & get to know you well. I LOVE them, they have such sweet dispositions. It is a good idea to feed (all crabs, but even more so the straws) a high protein diet to avoid them digging up molters (as they are know to do otherwise). Mine have never done this & I feed lots of protein foods along with much organic stuff & fresh fruits & veggies regularly. Another important add-in is the red powder : Astaxanthin (you can find that in the store here) to promote health & deepen color. It is already in some of the foods, but I got it plain to sprinkle along with seaweed on their fruit & veggie dishes. :petals:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.