1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made a net...

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by chermo, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I made this net today, check it out. The purple part goes down to the floor of the tank. I am new to this site so I will describe my tank to you. I have the soap dish with a screen for them to climb up to it. I have the salt water dish under the soap dish and the fresh water dish next to the screen. The purple play sand is at 3 different levels, the top level has a food shell and all the shells that they can change into with a plastic plant. The middle level has 2 food shells and the bottom level has the cocohut and all the described above things about the water and stuff and another food shell. I have different food shells for all kinds of foods I offer when they are not molting which they are now. Ok now you can view the picture of my net I made today. I may try to make another one so it looks better but this was my first try so I figured it was pretty good.

Attached Files:

2. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

That's great! Did you use hemp for the net? Also, I wouldn't use purple play sand if I were you. The purple probably has a lota harmful chemicals in it. Switch to something like EE or marine sand.

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Nope I used that string you use to make friend ship bracelets and dipped it in salt water. I washed the play sand and I have been using it since I started and have been told it was safe by other forums that I am signed up with so I will continue to use it and I can't changed it if I wanted to since they are both molting right now. I am not the only one who uses that sand either, I have been told that others use it and have been using it for about a year or so now. I like the colors they make it much prettier.

4. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I was under the impression that most colored sand has silica in it. Is that untrue?

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

All sand has silica in it- even natural- some brands have proven to have sharper micro glass edges. Wiz's mom just wrote to crayola who makes colored sand and they deemed it safe (if its that brands)- if it were me I would not chance it but.......

6. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Chermo is using Crayola play sand. There is a thread here somewhere where I posted what Crayola sent me when I questioned their dyes. It is okay to use with hermit crabs.

The gal even is using the sand for her beta tank.

7. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Well - it wasn't on this forum. Here it is:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.