1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i have 3 crabs...yes, yes i do.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by kellipzo, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

:straw: Hi there...my name is Kelli and me and my family are the proud owners of 3 hermit crabs. Their names are Charlotte, Chewy and Hans Solo. Guess which one belongs to my son! Anyway, I live in Alabama and I just wanted to introduce myself. :huggies:

2. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

oh, here is a picture of my crabitat. i have never posted pictures in a forum before, so lemme give it a shot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

eureka! the first picture is of course of the crabitat. the second picture is of Charlotte and Hans Solo. Chewy is asleep at the time the photo was taken...

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Hey WELCOME glad to have you here with us. I would suggest you do some reading - your crabitat should have heat n humidity! I know there are lots of threads on here with the proper care--I started out I think with the same KK (kritter keeper) lots to learn here and we are all willing to help you give your crabbies the best. Vickis store will give your crabs a culinary delight and all the proper nutrition they need, commercial foods are not very good for them despite what they tell you!

AGAIN we are glad to have you here with us :welcome:

4. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

thanks for your advice. i did some research before i got them... not alot, but some.
    their temperature hangs around about 73-77 degrees and the humidity about the same. (i have the gauges, but they weren't in the picture) i give them a weekly lukewarm bath (just 2 so far) and i feed them at night. i give them a small amount of commercial food every other night, and i give them small amounts of fruit and vegetables with fishfood sprinkled on them. they like the fishfood more than anything to be honest. i also change their sponge every other day, and replace it with a washed (in treated water) and baked sponge. i give them fresh treated water every day. they have calci sand and shells for their food and water. i didn't buy a kit for them, the enclosure was too small...i got the larger one which is short, but larger in the bottom than a 10 gallon aquarium.

i didn't want you to think that i was a bad crabby mom...that picture was taken the day we got them, before i had a chance to get their crabitat like i liked it.... :oops:

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK I got more advice :yes2: stop bathing them........its a personal choice but when you gather the facts you will see that bathing them stresses them and messes up what they are doing with the salt/fresh water mix in their shells--
    stop commercial foods as per my previous reply -- make sure you are providing a marine based salt water also ex: red sea//catalina//Oceanic. so that is 2 seperate dishes.
    Calci sand will be expensive- you can provide cuttlebone (found in the bird dept) and or crushed egg shells that are organic

I dont think your a bad crabby mom--we all started out with lots of info to learn. :froggz:

I would raise the humidity and temps to 78-80 they will be more active too!

6. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

ok. i was very sad after posting my sad little crabitat picture. so i went out and got this:
    [​IMG]

It is a 20L with a glass lid and I bought the big bag of calci sand to go in it.
    I wet their sand to a sandcastle making consistency.
    I also set up their salt water pool, and the shell water dish has the fresh water.
    I also put the salt water in the spray bottle.
    I got them some finely chopped nuts, coconut, and dried fruit. I also plan on giving them some meat when I get around to cooking.

They have a plant to climb on and a mound of the wet sand to bury themselves in. I sloped the sand down and it meets a small smooth gravel portion of the enclosure where their food, water, and salt water bath set. It is surrounded by the plant. Their coconut hut is on the sand hill.

I feel better about this set up. Please let me know what you think.

OH, and the reason why I bathe them, is because the instruction sheet told me to.
    The care sheet was by Florida Marine Research. FMR claims that they are "The World's Most Knowledgeable & Caring Supplier of Hermit Crabs!"

I didn't know...

Please ANYBODY...tell me what you think about my husbandry...I am a worrier.

7. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

I wouldn't use calci-sand because when it gets wet, it will smell BAD!!! You can go to Wal-Mart and get a fifty lb. bag of playsand for 2.88. just go to the flower section. You should only need one bag. Other than that, great job! You might want to put some more stuff to climb on and you can get great wood and stuff at blackjungle.com Really great stuff. P.S. Most everything that the pet store tells you or the little care sheets say, is wrong! This is a great place to get advice.

8. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

Well, I am trying. I have only had these crabs for a little over a week. I guess Eventually I will get it right. I appreciate your suggestion about the Calci Sand, but since i paid $15 for one bag and $12 for the first bag...I will just have to wait until it is time to change it. The new bag was just put in this morning after I got home with their new tank. I can't see throwing it out. My next priority is getting a deeper pool and more climbing things.

9. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

You can still use it. You can just put it in a ziploc baggy (or two) and save it for molters. It's a great source of calcium to harden up their new exo. That's what I did. :amie2:

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

There ya go- that looks better already! :woohoo: yeah it irks me when they give out wrong advice on crab care- I wasnt that lucky and got "no" advice so I went to the internet that is how I met Vicki and others that helped me 2 years ago.
    Your on your way to crabby wonderland :straw:

11. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

ok. SO...i am going to go get the 'brick' substrate (i can't remember what it is called) i guess i will need more than one to adequately fill my 20 L crabitat. I am also thinking about doing the divider thing and making a deep pool, because my pool won't allow them to submerge. I will be sure to make plenty of climbing things so that they will be able to get out of it.

Can I mix some of the calci sand with the new 'brick' substrate? or is that a bad idea. i noticed the smell that someone had mentioned...i thought it was the sponges, even though i take it out every day and wash, sterilize it and replace it with a fresh one.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I want my hermies to be all happy.

12. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

:eek:ops2:

i forgot to mention what Chewy did when i put him in the new crabitat. he headed up the hill, got in the hut and buried himself DEEP. i don't know if he is destressing or molting...probably destressing. i will be sure to leave him alone.

these crabs really stress me out....but i am sure with the help of this forum i will be a confident hermit crab owner in no time.

13. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

It would be fine to mix them together. Play sand is cheaper though.

14. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

Thanks for your reply. I realize that play sand is cheaper, but I already have 2 bags of Calci Sand that I have opened...so I plan on putting some away, and mixing the rest with the new substrate.

Thanks SO much...

15. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

Yup. No problem. Let us know if you need any help. In fact, you could put some calci-sand in with play sand. Play sand will last you so much longer than forrest bedding and it is so much cheaper and you get a lot more.

16. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

All substrates last as long as you go between deep cleans- EE is a great moisture helper with humidity- you can either mix or offer 2 sides- I just used coconut husks cubes and they are nuts for it. I put it under the water dishes and it helps with less sandy dishes too. Its awesome I am going to get some more very soon. Stay away from Bed A Beast it is said to have peat moss in it and that breeds harmful bacteria! Sponges will smell if you keep in the salt water- I only use them in the fresh- you can add pebbles and different things to help the crabbies not drown and gain access- I like little bridges too!

17. kellipzo

kellipzo Guest

:aargh:

I mess up every time i go to the petstore. yes. you guessed it...i bought Bed A Beast.

Can I get by with it until Friday when I can go back and get another kind?

What brand do you recommend, if not Bed A Beast?

I got them a climby rock and an upstairs filled with moss and 6 extra shells and a new friend! His name is Mister. He is my husband's...so now we all have one.

They were really active last night for the first time...I was so happy. So when I was out today, I got a sunlight and moonlight bulbs and a fixture so that i can enjoy viewing them more...

Neither of the petstores had the divider so that i can make a deep pool....ugh...

I lined all of the extra shells up around the salt water pool in the gravel...i hate when they get all dirty.

Chewy (my crab) moved again. Neither of the other 2 crabs have moved.

He moved last night...this is his 4th move since i got him (a little less than 2 weeks ago) I wonder if he will move again with the six new shell options...since he has lived in every shell in there already...it will be an interesting night tonight!

Here is a picture of the crabitat today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, i have to put the lid back on...cause the humidity has dropped since i have had the lid off so long messing around...

18. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

19. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

Are you talking about a tank divider? you probably need to get those made at like lowe's or home depot.

20. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

Your tank looks better than mine! :chuckle: But I'm ordering some new stuff from the addiction that should be here either thursday or tuesday. Then I will have a second level. I found a shower caddy at wal-mart for like $5 (large corner one) so that I can put all of the shells in there so that they won't be so sandy and dirty. Don't you hate that? Then I will put a choya log to the second level from my plastic viney-hidey-thingy to the second level. Then they will have some stuff to climb on! Yay! Your tank will still probably look better than mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.