1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found mold in my tank! How do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by LolaGranola, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

    LolaGranola Guest

    :dontknow:
     
  2. Jedi_sena

    Jedi_sena Guest

    How much mold are we talking about? What exactly has molded?

    Small amount: If a piece of food has molded, toss it out and wash the dish. If a small item has molded on the substrate, remove the item and scoop out some of the substrate around the "infected" area and discard. If it is a sponge, throw it out!

    If their playthings have molded, you will have to decide whether it is a disposable item or not. If the item is very precious to you or difficult or expensive to replace you could consider scrubbing it w/ a toothbrush or vegetable brush and then boiling it in fresh dechlor or sea-saltwater.

    Large amount: If the substrate is badly molded throughout or if you've scooped and tossed surface mold and it returned in a day or two, you should consider discarding the substrate entirely, washing the tank out thoroughly w/ vinegar or saltwater, and replacing w/ fresh, sterile substrate. If you decide to return any contaminated items to the fresh tank, you must be certain that they have been sterilized by removing all visible mold and by baking, boiling, or microwaving (don't use bleach or harsh chemical cleaners) or you could risk another episode of mold.

    Preventing another outbreak: Misting down the tank & it's contents w/ seasalt water will retard mold growth. Examine the tank daily if possible and remove any signs of mold before it gets out of hand. Change your sponges often (rinsing & allowing time for them to dry completely & microwave for a few seconds before returning them to the tank). Re-think your substrate. Eco-earth and moss tend to mold more-so than playsand.
     
  3. jedediah

    jedediah Guest

    Preventing mold:
    Keep woodlice (roly-polys, pillbugs) in your tank, they feed on mold. There's are small, white species that does very well in tropical conditions, but the normal ones will work, too. Booklice and springtails keep the tank clean, eating leftover food, crab poop ect. and thus prevent mold.
    It#s not for everyone, but it's very efficient :icon_smile:
     
  4. Crabby1

    Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2005
    Messages:
    932
    Likes Received:
    0
    When I had mold on my grapevine wood, I took it out and scrubbed it with a brush and then I boiled it in dechlor and then when it was mostly dry, I put it in the micro for 1m. I've never had mold on it again. I've also heard that misting with ISO water stops the mold from growing.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page