1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypos update

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by BL00DYMARY, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

They worked!!! & they worked fast! Thank you so much Kali for the info. It's been a week since I added them to my tank & I am straining my eyes trying to see any bugs in there. I can't see anything. I wasn't sure if they would take care of the springtails or not, but as of now I can't see them anymore. I even disturbed the EE to get them jumping and I don't see a sign of them. The little gnats are history too & it just feels great to know that there are no microscopic ickys that can hurt my crabs in the tank. The hypos are all but invisible too, I am hoping they stick around for a long time. Worth every penny.. I only wish they could be bought in a smaller quantity as I still have more than half a tube of carrier left.

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I'm so glad! Fighting fire with fire when it comes to insects is the most efficient and effective way.

If you have a garden of any kind, you can put the Hypos in it to keep fungus gnats and thrips down, as well as any mites.

If you were nearby, I'd buy them off you -- my nasturtiums are being devoured by aphids before I can get them to the crabs. [​IMG]

3. BL00DYMARY

I added another treatment to the tank today, but I still have a lot left. Do you think it would be OK to put some in my potted house plants? I have a couple of potted trees inside that my husband had put out on the deck last summer & they have had bug issues ever since.

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I was looking for the original thread about this but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is so I can link it to this one? I think this is a post worthy of the library [​IMG] and I would like to have all the info together.

Maybe even include the link to the site that sells the hypos. I think I remember Kerie providing it once before, but alas, my old lady memory is failing me LOL.

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

6. BL00DYMARY

It sure beats stripping down your tank & baking everything! (Kind of hard to do that with molters buried too). Two thumbs up for Hypos [​IMG]

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Thanks Kerie and BloodyMary! I'm copying this thread to the library for future reference too [​IMG]

8. BL00DYMARY

If you google "Hypoaspsis miles" You will find some sites that sell them in quantities as small as 7500, for around $18. plus shipping (expect the shipping to be high). I also found out that they feed on all stages of springtails.. no wonder why they made such quick work of them in my tank!

9. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Wow, that was quick and easy.

OT, sort of . . . a story about bugs I do not want to get rid of. I have a vivarium with a small tortoise and a pair of geckos. I was feeding my tortoise last night, and when I sat his food bowl down, I noticed a bunch of small bugs. When I had removed the bowl it had grapes left in it from the previous day, so I figured they were just fruit flies as I've had a lot of them lately. When I was turning off the lights to go to bed I took a closer look, and realized they were tiny baby crickets! So cute!! I have a waterfall in the tank, and the crickets have learned to hide in there so the geckos can't get them. They apparently are surviving quite well! LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.