1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hygrometer Woes

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by eljhdl, Aug 8, 2010.

1. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

Hi all!

Brand new to HCA and want to say thank you for having me!

I am also relatively new to hermit crab parenting but have had so much fun learning and reading about these highly addictive little creatures.  They amaze me to no end.  I have been a hermie mommy for a year now and am happy to say that thanks to lots of reading and interest, my crew of 4 is doing very well!

My story I want to share with you today is regarding my humidity gauge (hygrometer).  Due to where I live, we have no hermit crab specialty stores so I was forced to purchase a poor quality hygrometer when I first set up my tank.  It seemed to be working until recently.  It began to give me very different readings in very short periods of time.  I just upsized my tank so I obviously thought that my methods of creating humidity in the smaller tank were just not enough for the larger tank.  I went through everything!  Was my humidifier working, maybe they need a larger moss pit, maybe the substrate is too dry and on and on and on!  All the while, very worried about my hermies.  Well finally it dawned on me that for a small monetary investment, I could get a new hygrometer, just to double check.  Well, I am sure you all guessed it!  The old hygrometer was indeed no longer working properly!!

So there you have it folks! Everything is good and problem (or lack of, if you will) was solved quickly!

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:cheer:  YAY!!  :cheer:

Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here.  :flower:

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Welcome to the Hermit Crab Addiction Forum! :cheer:
    We seem to be getting a lot of new members lately... I wonder why?
    Anywho, glad to have you here! Please feel free to ask questions - no question is a dumb question - and we'd be more than glad to answer any you may happen to have...
    Good luck! :flower:

4. eljhdl

Thanks to all for the kind welcome!

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

You're more than welcome! We're glad to have you here!

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Because this is a GREAT site!!  :straw:

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Yes, of course! I know THAT! This is the best site in the world (if you ask me).

8. tabbyjanewarren

tabbyjanewarren Hi, I'm New Here!

:cheer: me and my hermies love our Tropic Aire system that I purchased for $12.95 at Reptile Supply.  http://www.reptilesupply.com/ All you need is dechloranated water and an air pump for the size tank you have which can also be purchased for $7-$17, depending on the tank size.  I love this site.  :drooltongue: I used to have all kinds of problems with the humidity.  I had purchased the Habamist system and it was putting out too much water and I didn't notice until water was literally standing in the tank and it caused my molting crab to die.  Pretty sure Ug drowned.  The Habamist was like $60.  I sent it and kept looking and found the Tropic Aire and thought, why not.  The water never goes into the tank, just the moisture off the container which constantly moves from the pump.  Hope you get the problem solved. :bye:

9. eljhdl

Thanks for the info!  I ended up making my own humidifier and have had great luck with it so far.  Sounds like the same concept as the one you have.  The good one that is!hahahaha