1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humidity dropping to fast

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by jsanqunetti, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

Greetings!

I am noticing my humidity is dropping too fast in my 10 gallon tank. This morning it was at 60% and latley all my crabs have been burrowing. Here's what I have going on

Heat Source: Side heater mat along with a over tank blub, that I placed in an bendable office lamp that hovers the tank. Bulbs are Zoo med Daylight 40 watt and Zoo Med Night 50watt

Substrate: Beach sand and eco earth with sand castle consisity (purchased from Hermit Crab Patch)

Lid: Mesh Screen with saran wrap except for a strip of open air at the edge

Misting the tank 2x a day

Small Moss Pit, that I spray 2x a day

2 seperate water bowls, salt and fresh

So, it seems like I am doing things right, but not sure what I'm missing, and since my crabs are burrowing, instead of coming out like they use to, I figured they are not happy with the envoirment?

I am currently calibrating my hydgrometer as well just to make sure the reading is accurate.

Any suggestions?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Sounds like the saran wrap isn't working. Might want to consider getting plexi glass or a 10g fish tank lid. Most pet stores sell the glass lids for 10g's. They come with a plastic strip on one side. I have drilled tiny holes in mine, a few at a time til humidity was stable.

3. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

Would that work okay with my desk lamp with the heat light? Would it get through okay to heat up?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

It works with other bulbs so I don't see why not. I had reptile bulbs above the glass and plexiglass.

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Try adding a couple of silk plants or more silk plants and moisten them. Believe it or not the more things in the tank the better your humidity will be as long as you keep them moist.It will put humidity in the air and not just on the substrate. Try having the plants almost to the top of the tank. you can get plexiglass at lowes, home depot and other home improvement stores. If you have a few 8x10 picture frames you can take the glass out and use the glass for a top. It will leave a gap for air to circulate. For a quick and temporary fix.

6. crabaddict145

crabaddict145 Hi, I'm New Here!

Also, check your humdity guage. It is possible that the gauge needs to be calibrated if the readings are off.

To calibrate, first get a small container, a teaspoon of salt and your gauge. Put the salt in a pile in the container or in a bottle cap (put the cap in the container) to keep it from getting all over everything. Wet the salt a bit, but not enough to make it drippy. Then, put your gauge in the container with the salt. Close the lid and leave it for 4 or 5 hours. Wet salt always has a humdity of 75%, so after 5 hours, if your gauge says 60% you know it's reading 15% off. If your gauge is adjustable, use a screw driver to set it back to 75. If your gauge isn't adjustable, when you read it, be sure to add the percentage it was off by.

Hope this makes sense, I don't think I explained it very clearly!

7. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

I have cork wood in my tank, and i think it really helps with humidity, and I have a plexiglass lid.I used to use mesh lid with saran wrap with my 10 gallon, but now I have 29 gallons. good luck:headbang:

8. HexxusAndLexxie'sCare

HexxusAndLexxie'sCare Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello , have you been using a spray water bottle ?? I have a 10 gal too and I notice when my humidity goes down , I would have to spray ..
    I was using humidifier , but for a 10gal, humidity will skyrocket !!

Yea, it depends on what kind of lids you have ! Get a lid that will lock in moisture

Yea, I agree with the plexi glass lid

Also, moss can be good for humidity as well