1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

humidity and temp. part 2

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by babygirl2130, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babygirl2130

babygirl2130 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, well there is condensation on the insides of the aquarium, but yet my relative humidity is right on the dot at 70% and my temp is 70 degrees F. Do you think this is correct? Also, I have two heating pads on the opposite side of where the two gauges are....how much hotter do you think it is on the other side where the heating pads are? Also, I need help trying to raise the temp and humidity just about 5 more...i tried spaying mist in there and I am isolating the top of the tank with plastic wrap and two towels, but leaving a little space open for circulation. I even took the crabitat in the bathroom with me when i took a shower before, and it seems stuck on the same readings. Also, both my crabs seem still stressed....they having been constantly surrounding themselves with sand in their little tiki hut. Any suggestions?? Sorry for such a long post, but im worried about these little guys...thanks

2. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

It could be that your gauge is wrong. I have one now that I know isnt registuring right. It said that my humidity was at 55%. I knew something wasnt right when I saw condensation on the tank. I got a different gauge out...and it says that my humidity is at 78%.. Something you might want to try is forest bedding to try to bring up the humidity in the tank.

3. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

If your gauge is saying 70 and there is condensation on the glass I would say your gauge is probably off. 2 heat pads should have your tank well above 70. I would personaly test or replace them.

4. babygirl2130

babygirl2130 Hi, I'm New Here!

even if the gauge is off...do you think having all those things to bring up the humidity and temperature is making it actually TOO hot for them? Also, do you think the temp gauge is off too because that says only 65 Degrees F, and both these readings come off the same gauge. Its all in one.

5. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Try setting the gauge next to your thermostat in the house for a couple hours and see what it says. I just don't see how in a 10 gal tank with 2 heat pads the temp would only be 65. I think I would test the gauge and in the mean time turn off one of the heat pads.

6. luvstraws

luvstraws Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, I've had the same problem. I have a 10 gal. tank with 2 heating pads and could only get the temp tp 70 %. The top is 80%covered with glass leaving about 20% open for air. I've recently purchased a NON-LIGHT emmitting heating bulb. This has helped alot. The temps. are now 72-74%. But I still think its crazy to need all 3 types of heat. I did check my thermometer and it seems to be correct! Good luck. I'm still having a hard time getting the humidity up. Any suggestions????????? ( Iam using forest bedding and a back board of FB too).

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have heard this complaint from many people with a 10g. I was wondering where in the house do you have your tank? If possible, keep it away from windows and any outside walls. Place it on an inside wall where it will be more protected from drafts and cold.

A fluorescent bulb with a wattage of no more than 15w for a ten gallon may work wonders for the heat, but you need to make sure you can keep the humidity up as well or it could work against you by drying the tank out too quickly. For the price of two UTH's you could have probably purchased a strip light for the top of your tank. I have a fluorescent for my tank and it brings it up a nice 5 degrees. If you are concerned about the heat during the evening, you could try getting a moon or night glo bulb (incandescent) that will be more of a natural "night time" light for them. I have one clamped outside of the tank shining on the side of it and the crabs love to sit in the corner where it is even when my tank is at 75-77...they still sit there [​IMG] Just remember with a small tank like a 10g, keep the watts on the lower side (around 15w) to avoid drying things out.

Have you tried adding a sponge to the fresh water dish? Or possibly going to your local hardware store and having a piece of plexi glass cut for the top of the tank. I haven't had any luck covering a mesh lid with plastic wrap personally, even with moist EE as a substrate.
    I also found this interesting product at www.petdiscounters.com that may help. I have never tried it, but it looks interesting.
    http://www.petdiscounters.biz/customer/product.php?productid=1157141&cat=910&page=1

Another important thing is to make sure your gauges are accurate. There is a post in the Hard Drive Forum that explains how to test your hygrometer (humidity gauge). If you have condensation and your gauge only reads 70, I would hazard a guess and say it is not correct.

As far as a thermometer being accurate, try a different one in the tank along with the one you have to see if they both read the same.

You indicated that they still seemed stressed. How long have you had them?

luvstraws, I wonder if you have too much space uncovered. I went to the local hardware store and had them cut me a piece of plexi that would cover the entire top of my 10g. Then I had them cut it in half so I could slide it open to allow more or less air in as needed depending on what the gauge was reading. I eventually found out (through trial and error) just how much of a gap I needed to leave to keep my humidity on target.

And now that my long winded post is over, I would like to welcome you both to HCRU-where we are all friends working toward the same goal! Keeping our crabs happy and healthy [​IMG] I hope you will both continue to come back and contribute your experiences to the forum [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.