1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human Food

Discussion in 'You Are In: POLL Parade - Just! Poll's.' started by haleye1997, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

Do your hermit crabs like human food?

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

They eat it sometimes, but they usually eat commercial food instead. Sometimes they just eat the calci sand in the cage. I Love this poll!

3. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

i know this is normal but it just sounds funny "eating calci sand" hahahaha

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

You should not be giving them any commercial foods, it is toxic for them with all the preservatives and a few ingredients that they should not have ever. It may say hermit crab food but it should say hermit crab poision.

5. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

youre right.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I looked at the ingredients on a hermit crab commercial food jar and it said a bunch of stuff I've never heard of and something rather clorine. Anyway definitely not good. Try parrot cuttle bone instead maybe.

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have a small container that I fill with the Calsi sand and have it available all the time for the hermies. I also keep bird cuttle bone in their dish and twice a week or so I give them egg shells too. Calsium is extreemly important in their diet.

As far as the commercial food, if you keep giving it to them, they will not want to try the Good foods. Take it out altogether, give them several varieties of the Good foods, and they'll come around. It really isn't difficult or expensive to feed them nutritious food. Give them bits of what you are having for dinner (minus harmful salt and additives). Also, veggies and meat or fish don't have to be cooked, so you could set a piece or two aside for the hermies before you prepare your own meal. Frozen veggies are great too because they don't usually have the salt like canned foods do.
    Don't over-think the foods...it is really very easy to feed them good nutritous meals. Print out the food lists so you'll have them nearby for a quick refference.

As was said earlier, take the time to read the things in the Forum---there is an absolute wealth of information on there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.