1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

He was pretty old when I got him. He was neglected so I decided to bring him home. He never pinched, he never hid when he was in my hands. He loved his popcorn, and sitting inside the hermit hut with Ace. While the others were asleep, he'd always come out and climb around, causing a little too much noise in my bedroom. The day before his death, he was perfectly fine, drinking, eating, etc. The next day he was still, so I assumed this was normal. A week past and he was still in the same spot, eyes out and all. That stinky fish smell came from his body, but I still didn't believe it. I picked him up and he did not flinch, move his eyes, and his body was totally limp. I knew then. I moved him into the mini tank for another day, just incase, but nothing, he was gone.

His death is still a mystery, no mites or anything, but I think it was old age.

RIP Howard, you were a good crab.

2. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

It can be so frustrating with crabs dieing for reasons we don't know. If it's a dog or a cat, we usually know when they are sick and when they are ready to die.

It's still a mystery how a crab can be up and about, eating and drinking and the next day be dead.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

3. Spiffy-Kat

Thank you Hildegarde. :]

I keep thinking it was my fault. I hope not though.

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. I always got a kick out of the name Howard for a crab, it was very cute. I would agree with you that it was most likely old age, don't blame yourself.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Oh, how sad! You brough tears to my eyes. At least when a hermit crab dies, we hold on to that glimmer of hope that they are preparing for a molt...not like a mammal. I'm currently in that stage with Hercules...I think he's gone, but no heavy fishy smell yet...I'm still praying:eek:

6. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Spiffy-Cat: Don't beat yourself up about it. It absolutely wasn't your fault. Instead, you made his last days very happy ones.

7. Spiffy-Kat

Thanks guys. :]

And I'll pray for Hercules krackersmom. I hope he'll be alright.

8. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Oh, you brought tears to my eyes also. What a beautiful obituary for Howard. You gave him a wonderful home, and you can find comfort in that. Howard was truly grateful for your love, I'm sure. So sorry. RIP Howard...

9. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

He sounds like a little too sweet crabbie..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.