1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get crab to change shell?

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Magic_frost, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magic_frost

Magic_frost (Micro Crab)

I havent had crabs for a couple years, but successfully had them for 17 plus before this. My oldest crab lived to be 16 years old, and he was a monster before we go him, lol!

My son got three crabs for his birthday from a friend. I am just glad we have the husbandry experience we do, because thats not ok!

Anywho, the three smalls (size of a silver dollar) were in tough shape. Set up a home and that night two of them changed shells immediately and probably each ate 1/2 teaspoon or food.

However, the crab that needed to change the most....wont. Stubborn thing! This crab has a shell that is BROKEN and chipped and is about a size 2 bikini when the owner is clearly a plus sized gal.....

We have many, many, many shells to chose from. Both of the others chose green turbos, leaving murex shells in the trash. But this little girl wont!!!

Wouldnt care much but the shell is clearly degrading and holds no moisture. Any tips to get her to change? Ive tried them all, from boiling in salt water to puting her in a shell mall. thanks!

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

try one that is like the one she has on already? Mine wouldn't change at all until I got the natural turbo's then they all changed and don't give the other shells a second look.
    I like the size 2 but a plus sized gal.. cause that's what mine was, crabby paddy hung out of his shell and would change into shells I would get but would go back into the small shell again. That's when I got all natural turbo's and he changed

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

stress coat the shells of the same kind? you know as well as us that you cant force them maybe its like that ragged pair of jammies ya just cant throw them out :wub:

4. scoobdoo

funny you should mention that because I went through my clothes getting rid of old clothes with stains, holes, eh hem to small, ect, ect.. and I keep holding onto this one hoodie sweat shirt, it an old cyclone football hoodie from when my son was in highschool 7yrs ago. I have ripped the edges of where the hands go, got that expanding sealant on it & that strff does not come off! Grease stains that I get out and then I find new ones, it's all faded out black but oh so comfy! I get heck when I where it to town, but I just tell the hubby it's clean It don't smell, I don't smell & I have seen & smelled worse so either you go or stay home! He goes with me, but we never shop together anyway so i don't know what he is belly bawling about!

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I love my stained and worn clothes. I guess thats why they got that way.
    Anyway, My favorite hermie (Dutch) has not changed shells in over a year and a half. When he gets spooked he cant go into his shell. All of his legs and pinchers stick out. He will checkout the other shell and change into new ones but always goes back to his old faithfull. I do have the same shell in two different sizes. Last week he went under to molt but has pooked his head out a time or two.

6. Magic_frost

Magic_frost (Micro Crab)

What were to happen, do you think guys, if this one continues to degrade around her? Of the rest of the bottom falls out, will she change then? In all my years I have never come across a little one so stuck on her shell.

The shell is pretty damaged. More chips off everyday.

7. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Well, I guess he'll have to change eventually, so as long as you do what others said and other crabs don't seem to be pestering him, she should change. Sometimes one crab guards the shells and doesn't let others use them, I've had that happen once. If that's happening, or if you're worried he'll get damaged by the others because of his broken shell, then you could wash out a few shells and put him in another temporary container. I've had this work for an aggressive crab looking for a new shell, the new surroundings and seemingly new shells caused him to take another look at the shells and he chose one within 30 minutes. Good luck.

8. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

That might be a good idea. ISO for a little while with the shells.

Good luck!

9. scoobdoo

I have seen the shell hoarder first hand, had a crab that had 2 shells in front of him and was going to change in one and an other crab walked up by him , he went and yanked the other empty shell up close by him to and drug it around so the crab couldn't get it. Then continued to change in & out of the 2 shells several times before giving up and staying in the one he had.

10. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Even with all the shells I have in the tank I still lost 2 crabs to shell theives while they were molting. There shells were taken and their air pocket was colapsed on top of them. I had many molts in that substrate (sand at the time) so I think the smell of so many molts were driving many of the crabs to dig constantlyand they ran into the molters.I put EE in January and have only had 2 molts since then and it was right after I got it. And there was no more digging.
    But now its that time again and they are all going nuts!

11. scoobdoo

maybe that is what I was smelling when I was taking the e.e. out in this one spot where I had one molter and around the other one it stunk! I have the one molter with a cocoa hut over him covered with e.e. { cocoa hut doesn't go with my decor } anyway I had stired some of the old smelly stuff with the new and when I put the crabs back in, crabby paddy went over and tried to dig around there. He gave up after he found out he couldn't get nowhere.

12. Magic_frost

Magic_frost (Micro Crab)

Well, this little girl has now abandoned shell and gone under. I will try to get a pic of the scrubby shell....its literally broken into bits and cracked up, theres no back portion left.

I hope she makes it through the molt, but with the conditions of the pet store, I just dont know.

Has anyone had a successful naked molt from a newly purchased crab? I havent had her a week...

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Are you sure it is not in a different shell? If there isnt a shell missing loook more carefully around the tank to see if she isnt hidding somewhere. Crabs dont usually bury into the substrate unless they have a shell. Their abdoman is very soft and probably couldnt handle the weight of the substrate.

14. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

she might be hiding in a bigger shell or under your food bowls... check there

15. Magic_frost

Magic_frost (Micro Crab)

Nope. She's naked and hiding under the moss bucket. I have "helped" her into two different shells now to try and see and she's not having any of it. She's naked and trying to molt, I'm almost positive. I don't know what to do other than give her some space. Her old shell is so broken now I think it broke off of her body while she was digging. There's like four pieces of it total now. I have even thrown around the notion of gluing the darn thing back together if it means her life.

My other thought is that if anyone has loads more "streaking crab" experience than I do, I will drive as far as 5 hours to adopt her out to you. I live in Duluth, MN.

16. scoobdoo

Might be one of these I'm a stressed out crabbed problems. Is the crab by its self? I would just take out the old shell all together & toss it. I wouldn't glue it for saftey & health issues. The only thing I can remember reading is just putting in shells, waters, foods, in an iso tank, make sure the temp is right, cover it and hope for the best. You prob already knew that. Maybe the crab is stubborn is enough to pull through this! Keeping my fingers crossed!

17. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If it is surface molting I think you should cover the tank so it is dark in there.

18. wickedannabella

wickedannabella (Micro Crab)

Oh just yank her out and stuff her in another.....I'M KIDDING! hahahah

Maybe an old flame told her that she looked absolutely fetching in that shell and now, the equivalent of 10 crabbie years later, she's still in that dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair... :drooltongue:

Sorry...slipped into a little Copacabana :eek:ops2:

:tease2: :crabaddict:

19. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Are the shells clean? try boiling them in a saltwater mixture.

20. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

My crab never went near shells and in fact, he was afraid of them. Last night though he was switching up a storm lol. Now hes in a beautiful pink murex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.