1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Calibrate Your Humidity Gauge

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Matt, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Guest

It's good to make sure your gauges are reading correctly. Here's how!
    1. Get 2 heavy duty zip lock baggies.
    2. table salt
    3. small container for salt( 2 liter soda bottle top for example)

Put the salt in the container. Put a few drops of water onto the salt, just to moisten the salt. Then place the container inside the baggie. Now place the gauge in the baggie. Make sure you have this in a spot somewhere that no small kids can get to or that it can be knocked over. Wait between 4-6 hours. When you check it after that amount of time, look in the bag without opening it.Your gauge should be reading 75%. If it IS NOT, then thats how much your gauge is off by. To fix this you can get a small screwdriver and turn the screw on the gauge. If it's off by 7%(68%) then turn it so it reads 7% higher.

2. bpmc75

bpmc75 Guest

why do you need 2 baggies? is it to make sure no air gets in?

3. Matt

Matt Guest

That is in fact a very good question. I didnt actually write that, so I don't know how to answer that, I don't think you would need the second baggie, it is not included in the instructions, but I'd assume you'd use the second bag to seal it to make sure no air gets in, and to make sure no air gets out.

4. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

How much salt do you need?

:pinch:

5. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

Probably just enough to fill the cap or so...

6. StLCrab

StLCrab (Micro Crab)

I have thermometer/hygrometer combo. Can I still calibrate it this way or will it harm the thermometer?

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You can't really do it with a combo. Like a flucker or zoo med. Calabrating one of these is dificult. That form of calabration was intended for cigar cases so they don't dry out. It's best just to buy a new one. Anyway when they calibrate these at the factory they usually read low not high and it took buying a couple of them to get an accurate %.

8. Crab*Fanci

Crab*Fanci (Micro Crab)

I did this and it said mine was 20 % low is this true?

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Do you mean that it's reading 20% lower than what it really is? I would buy a new one and compare the two. But alot of time the humidity is really higher than what these dumb things read. They don't read over very often.

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I've seen gauges read high and I've seen them read low. They get knocked around in shipping a lot, so they can go either way.

11. Crab*Fanci

Crab*Fanci (Micro Crab)

I think I'll invest in a new one. The sticky stuff came off anyway. What's a good brand?

12. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Honestly, I have no clue. I have a dual temperature/humidity gauge (two temperature things - "outside" and "inside") from Lowe's and one of those dual analog gauges that you see in pet store tanks all the time.

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Emmac350 is right. Sugestions on one of them that is totally accurate is hard to do. I always end up buying more than one set just to make sure they are CLOSE.About every 6mo.

14. Crab*Fanci

Crab*Fanci (Micro Crab)

I'll have to check around then.