1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to calibrate your humidity gauge

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Jan 23, 2008.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

It's good to make sure your gauges are reading correctly. Here's how!
    1. Get 2 heavy duty zip lock baggies.
    2. table salt
    3. small container for salt( 2 liter soda bottle top for example)

Put the salt in the container. Put a few drops of water onto the salt, just to moisten the salt. Then place the container inside the baggie. Now place the gauge in the baggie. Make sure you have this in a spot somewhere that no small kids can get to or that it can be knocked over. Wait between 4-6 hours. When you check it after that amount of time, look in the bag without opening it.Your gauge should be reading 75%. If it IS NOT, then thats how much your gauge is off by. To fix this you can get a small screwdriver and turn the screw on the gauge. If it's off by 7%(68%) then turn it so it reads 7% higher.

2. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Please read the manufacturer's directions first. The manufacturer of the gauges I use specifically warn against this method.

"To maintain the warranty of this product and enjoy many years of error free operation, do to attempt to perform the following: DO NOT microwave or insert in an oven. DO NOT attempt to perform the salt test. Should anyone suggest any of the above, ..we recommend you run from them immediately!"

3. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Maybe they just said that so you wouldn't know how incorrect and unreliable their gauges really are. :) I mean, are you really going to use the warranty on your gauge should something happen to it? Sounds like a very silly warranty, since the salt test can't actually damage the gauges. How else could you possibly calibrate your gauges?

Of course, to each his own. Just expressing my humble opinion.

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

EXACTLY!!!!;)

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've bought several gauges over the last couple years, I've never seen this warranty. This method has been used by crabbers for a long time. Way before I even became one. This is pretty much used on every crab site. It's accurate and it works. In no way can it harm the gauge. The gauge doesnt go in a microwave or an oven. It sits on a counter in a baggie.

Which gauge manufacturer is this?

I've checked other crab sites, everyone uses this method for calibrating. I've not heard of any other method or anything about a warranty. However on a $5 gauge what kind of warranty is this? I can't find anything when I google and I'm pretty good with googling.

If this is a professional company, to have that type of warranty on a product isn't very professional. But that's just my opinion.

6. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

After many frustrating attempts and much money spent to find a decent Hygrometer, I came across a review at Crab Street Journal.

These are some excerpts from the review:

"The Western Caliber III Hygrometer is touted as one of the best hygrometers in the cigar industry."

"The manufacturer, Western Humidor, provides a 5 year guarantee. The gauges are very compact and come with round magnets so they can be mounted within the tank."

"The Western Humidor company does not recommend calibration with the standard salt method and will void their warranty if they find out that the gauge has been calibrated with this method."

"The recommended retail price is $29.95 U.S."

I have four of these, which set me back over $100, but I finally found accurate hygrometers.

In my post, all I said was to read the manufacturer's warranty first. I quoted from my directions, and made it clear that it was a quote. Although a bit tongue-in-cheek, they are a reputable company that produces an excellent product, used by many experienced crabbers.

According to their directions you can reach them at:
    800-776-0096 or 702-644-7800

www.westernhumidor.com

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Well since your gauge is meant for cigars and not pets, it doesn't fit with what we use for our crabs. The warranty and recommendation you posted doesn't apply to the thread. In your original post you should've explained what brand you used and that would've saved the thread from getting off topic.

So as I stated before, the salt method works on the gauges we use for the crabs tanks. Should you use the gauge for cigars then skip this topic.

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Can you use magnets in a crab tank? I wouldn't have anything metal to stick a magnetic gauge to in my crabitat....my tanks all have plastic edging around them (unless there is a magnet on the opposite side of the glass too). I prefer to use the gauges that have the temp and humidity on the same gauge. I bought mine for about $9.99 at Petsmart and it seems pretty reliable so far. Mine has the little colored zones .....specially designed for hermit crabs..... with one peek i can look to see if the needle is in the optimal color zone....it has numbers, but the colors saves having to squint to see them. It is also great for younger kids who cannot read temperatures yet, so it's a teaching tool too;). They know if it's in the blue zone (too cold), yellow (just right), red( too warm).
    I'm sure any temp. and humidity gauges are fine, as long as you know what the proper temps. and humidity should be. I'm sure we each have our own favorite brands too;).

9. Nan05

Nan05 Hi, I'm New Here!

I just deep cleaned my tank and I guess I got a little water in or behind the humidity gauge, because it's reading 100% (I put another gauge in and verified that the tank is more like 75%). Will the gauge recover? Do most people take them out and stick them back on when they clean their tanks?

10. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Mine recently fell off the glass and into the water dish:eek:. I had just calibrated it too:rolleyes:. Anyway, I tried taking it apart and blow-drying it with hairdryer. It never read right again, even after re-calibrating. So I had to buy a new one:mad:!! You can try to save it, but use both to see if they read the same for a while before relying on it soley again!!

11. crabbbychris

crabbbychris (Micro Crab)

OK.. I must be missing something... I missed the part on why you need TWO baggies.
    As I go over the instructions it says add salt to cap lid... add a few drops of water (I'll assume 3 or 4..????)
    Then it says put lid in baggie,.... then put gauge in baggie.
    DO you put the whole thing in TWO baggies,.. put the lid in one baggie, and then put the gauge in an different baggie and put it in the first with the lid (although this is the only way I can see using two baggies to any effect, it would seem that having the gauge sealed in a ggie by itself would have no effect..

Anyway,.. you see why I am confused.
    Please advise

12. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Both salt and gauge in one bag - then place in second bag.

I have found that using a shot glass - half filled with table salt then moistened - placed in
    a wide mouth jar with the gauge - then close the jar with lid works. In 6 hours you get a good reading.

13. Hermielover<3

Hermielover<3 "Never Molted"

Hermit Crab Recipes

Hi!
    I've had hermies before...(Awhile ago)
    And just got a new one. (planning on getting him a friend:D)
    And I need to know food recipies I can make at home because I don't want him living off that "HERMIT THE CRAB BRAND FOOD" junk.
    It would be soooooo helpful, and my PP Burt (or as I call him Burtikinz:D)
    would love some yummy variaty!
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!

14. Hermielover<3

Ok this is sooooooo confusing!
    WHICH IS THE RIGHT WAY!?
    Lol

15. Hermielover<3

I mean which is right way with gauge
    so many ppl said different things.....

16. WizKidsMom

Hermie Lover - Either way - it might be easier to use a wide mouth jar (think mayo jar or peanut butter jar).

17. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

ok. so im new to owning my hermies and can NOT seem to get the temp and humidity just right! my humidity is WAAY too high- 90%! and my temp is kinda low- 70*. They keep on fluctuating(humidity from 80-90 & temp from 70-85) so i know this is stressing out my hermies! Anyone know what to do???

18. WizKidsMom

Ninja - what kind of set up do you have? What kind of lid? What kind of substrate?
    Do you have the tank by a window? Do you have a under the tank heater - side mounted?
    Is the tank by a vent or fan?

19. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

i have a 10 gal with sand ee and moss, a fish tank lid, UTH, and i took out the sponge that was in the water dish. without the sponge the humidity is now pretty leveled out same with the temp. temp- 75, humid- 85.
    is that ok?
    the tank is in my bedroom with no fan or vent within 10 feet

20. WizKidsMom

It seems you got it stable now. Just monitor it. You can always prop open the lid to let some humidity out. I use a folded up paper towel. It looks a little silly when I need just a little open and most of the towel is hanging out of the tank, but it works. You don't want it hanging on the inside as the hermies might get ideas. :D