1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by PinkParrot, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkParrot

PinkParrot Hi, I'm New Here!

I would like to know how often I can/should feed my hc the "people food"? So far, I tried feeding him a piece of zuccini, a baby carrot, a blueberry, romaine lettuce... I know they take small small bites but I don't think he touched anything. I put the food in the evening and take it out in the morning.

Tonight I want to give him scallop but not until I know how often he should have food other than hc pellets...

Thanks.

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Every night. I dont ever use my commercial food that I bought because I heard some of them use chemicals to attract the hermit crab to the food and get them addicted to it and not eat anything else. And some of them use some thing called ethoxyquin that was banned in dog and cat and bird foods but it wasnt banned in some hermit crab commercial foods so thats why I dont use commercial food

3. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

ok there is a website called hermit craab addiction store.com GO TO IT! it has wonderful prices i bought 25 dollars worth of food and i still have it it from oh i dont know how long ago! they LOVE it! trust me it is worth it and it lasts for years with out rottineg since its dried!

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Definately get rid of the pellets. There's a safe and unsafe food list posted here on HCRU from www.epicurean-hermit.com

Also on that site there's a ton of recipes you can use. Some with pics!

You can find a lot of safe things from your local grocery store as well.

5. CrabLover910!

CrabLover910! (Micro Crab)

Are pellets really not safe because I don't think my hermies eat it much anyway but they seem to really like cuttlebone and sort of like egg shell but not so much because i didn't get all the egg off from my hard boiled egg for brekky. is that a problem or r they just being fussy coz they are!

mia!

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

They are not safe. Like people said use them from hermit crab addiction. I heard some people made their own kibble but i'm not sure how. There are TONS of grains at the grocery store. I went and got about ten different seeds/nuts/grains with protien, calcium,fats etc and mixed them together. I assume that would be a good staple food but add veggies and meat as well.

7. PinkParrot

I gave mine scallops last night and I don't think he ate any of it. He never walks around on the sand, he seem to like to stay on the branch that goes across the top of his 'tank'.

I don't know what to feed him anymore. Would he eat brocoli? :confused:

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Vckums gave you the website that the food lists are on.
    www.epicurean-hermit.com

It is very informative, I even printed mine out for quick reference.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

You definately need to read the safe lists so you can get ideas on what to get them.

10. PinkParrot

Yes I read it and there is sooo much stuff they can eat! This means I can always find something in my fridge to feed him, easy! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.