1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you pay for crabs?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by tb1234, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

I've noticed my pet store has raised their prices. [​IMG] The regular shelled ones are now $7.99 and the painted shell ones are $9.99. And they are small too.

When I bought Mr. Krabs back in August, he was in a painted shell at $7.99 and is medium sized.

When I got Mrs. Hermit at the feed store, he was in the computer for 6.99 I think, but I told her I was told 4.99 last week. [​IMG]

All of them are PP's.

2. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

The prices at my local petsmart are pretty reasonable...I think it's about $4.50-$5 for regular shells and $6-$7 for "fancy" shells.I don't think they really go by size there...

3. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Well I asked my SIL that works there about getting different kinds of them, and she showed me the order form from the company, and its small or large. Fancy or plain. [​IMG] I'd love to pass on the source for EE's to them. LOL

4. BoondockSaint

BoondockSaint Hi, I'm New Here!

The place I buy my hermies they are $3.99, petsmart is a little bit higher.

5. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

PetLand is more money for hermies than PETsMART over here. Don't really know why.

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I think PetSmart here charges $3.99 or $4.99 (depending on whether they are in a "fancy", i.e. painted, shell) for their purple pinchers. Petco charges $10.00 for Straws, and I think $5.99 or $6.99 for everything else. I paid $8.99 for the first crabs I ever bought -- those were from a mall kiosk. Personally I wish hermit crabs cost $30 each, and that stores and distributors took better care of them accordingly.

7. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Yeah, I think I'm gettin ripped off. [​IMG]

I hear ya moire, but the stores have umpteen other animals they have to "care for" and do the bare minimum for all of them, just to get them to the consumer.

8. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] hello felicity , the new addition was supposed to be a 10.00 crabbie , however , she said she could tell how much i loved them , and sold him to me for 4.99. the cost of smaller ones. however! when we got him home , his feeding claw , (the smaller one) is missing one of the clippers. i wondered if that was why there was a discount? either way i just love him , and omgosh he loves to climb.

9. Felicity Loves Animals

WOW! $10.00 is a LOT of money!! (Especially to me LOL.) Over here they're about half that price over here (well, the non-"decorated" hermies, anyway)! I don't think she gave a discount because of the claw was missing, I've had a couple that had their one claws missing (and a whole lot of legs missing, too), and there was no discount... of course it could be differant there! I used to have hermies that LOVED to climb!! I'd see them in the morning climbing their tree!

10. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

i think i pay like 1.50 to 2.50 at miejer, very resonable considering the shape there in once i buy them.

11. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

At the lps the tiny to medium size crabs (painted & natural shells) are 4.99. The large to extra large are 8.95. They finally started getting some natural shell hermies in and dropped the price for the big guys by a buck. Probably because no one was buying them at almost 10.00.

Petco, which is 40 minutes away, sells small crabs for 3.99, medium for 4.99, and fancy-ie painted shells-for 5.99 (regardless of size). Straws are (or were) 11.99.

12. cfrederick

cfrederick Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't think I've paid more than 5.99 for any crab. 3.49 has been the cheapest, I think. I've gotten mine for Petsmart, and 2 local shops...House of Tropicals and PetsGalore.

13. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] i think i will try petsmart instead next time! it seems everyone is suggesting that they are best , and as for prices they rock. i went to petco , and i paid 4.99 , but they had them as high as 9.99 so i will look at both before making a desion next time. ty for letting me know. hugs , kathy

14. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] ty wendy , petco is where i got my new guy, we have a local fair in septemeber , that is where i got my first three, all of the first three where painted , and it didnt matter what the size , they were all 5 dollors. but painted , only one of those three made it , [​IMG] however the new guy i baught at petco friday is in a plain shell , that i seem to like better , and is so playful , he absolutly loves to climb! he still needs a name we havent decided on any one yet , we are waiting to see what his personality is a lil more before deciding. ty for the information. hugs , kathy

15. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

It can be really hard to get hermit crabs where I live some times up to 10 weeks.

I pay aboout: not painted shells
    small $7
    medium $10
    large $15
    jumbo $55

But if they have painted shells they are:
    Small $13
    medium $17
    large $24
    jumbo $70

16. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] where are you at ????? that just seems so much to me. are you looking to get another one to replace emily? i lost two of the three i had baught in sept. and i finally got to the nearest place that sells them from me , which is about a 20 minute drive, but omg, well worth it , my lil girl was so happy to have a friend, they play all the time. however for even the jumbo size ones i believe they too were only as high as 10 dollors. im very new to hermit crabs , and ive learned alot on this site, maybe felicity , eric , or wendy may know where you could go , or adopt one ? not sure though, again im so sorry for your lose of emily . hugs kathy

17. Felicity Loves Animals

18. Felicity Loves Animals

Austrailia is differant than the USA. It might be just more money Austrailia, that's all.

19. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

Australi and I get mine cheap sometimes they can be $10 more
    but some jumbos can be over $80
    Iam going to get another crab to replace Emily [​IMG]. but I want a medium crab I might have to a few weeks.

20. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] [​IMG] i just wanted to send you another great big hug ashleigh, im so sorry for the loss of emily. ive only been taking care of hermit crabs since sept, and i am soooooooooooo attched . and addicted lol. i will ask around , and i have a few friends in aussie too, maybe i can get them looking as well. im so sorry again ashleigh, and when i lost my two, it was within days of one another , this site , really helped me through that . and i didnt get me another until a week ago. hugs kathy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.