1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much did you spend?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by CrabE, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrabE

CrabE Guest

When you first got your crabs, and their cages and things, how much did you spend??? Plase answer back soon!!!

Tootles!!! :hiding:

2. WickedWit

WickedWit Guest

Re: Question!!!

The first time when I swallowed the mall kiosk lady's story about the kritter keeper and the gravel? Maybe $60.

The first tank we set up properly? I think it was closer to $100, but we were using calcisand as the substrate, so that was a lot more than it needed to be.

3. CrabE

CrabE Guest

Thank you for the tip, please keep posting people!!! :icon_thumleft:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I don't know about the first time, but I know awhile ago we asked this on another board and my total was like $3000...No one tell Scott!

5. Re: Question!!!

:notworthy: wow! I saved a lot of what I *was* going to spend on a new tank by getting them second hand, but between all the crabs and supplies, I've probably spent between $250-350

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

This wasn't a new tank, it was all the other stuff..LOL The tank and some crabs I adopted.

7. sjpackfan

sjpackfan Guest

I started this crab addiction :hello2:about 2 weeks ago. I bought all new and with the new combo light & stuff just ordered I have about 300 in tank set-up. (so far :icon_smile:)

8. cuddiebear

cuddiebear Guest

The 40 gallon tank was at a yard sale for 15 dollars, came with lid, large climbing log and great water bowl. So I ended up buying:
    Substrate (sand and EE)
    More Bowls
    Netting
    Plastic Plants
    Food, and more food
    cocohut
    choya logs
    sponges
    stress coat
    Heating pad
    Turtle dock (for ramp and 2nd level)
    lots of other odds and ends
    And of course the babies themselves! ;D

Also spent many, many countless hours of looking for exactly what I wanted for the tank, as well as the babies I wanted. So in all total for sure a few hundred.

9. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

my first time crabbing, back WAY THEN when i knew nothin':
    kritter keeper
    shell dish
    sponge
    sand
    2 extra shells
    other shell dishes
    =$35

now:
    10 gal
    20gal
    play sand
    probably 25 extra shells
    dift wood
    grapvine
    lots of plants
    cholla wood
    20gal lid
    10 gal lid
    rocks
    food/water dishes
    temp. gauge
    humdidty gauge
    misting bottle
    = $90+

10. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

I am looking into getting a tax break for my dependents :cheesygrin:

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

That would be nice!!!

12. Sialea

Sialea Guest

My first set up:
    old 20g Long aquarium $0
    Fb $7
    Sand/Cacisand $14
    dishes $10
    cholla $4
    variuos fake plants $20
    driftwood (lg) $10
    grapevine(3) $15
    total $88
    hours of endless crab fun priceless
    dont ask about my newer setup!!!

13. hermit595

hermit595 Guest

I had a tank allready so it was ALOT less I probibly spent $20 and there happy.

P.S I really had all I needed but I like buying hermit crabs!
    My mom and dad were hermit crabers to,that's how I had what I needed!

14. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

Anywhere from 100 - 150. That was a lot of money.

15. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Oh my gosh...I've spent HOW MUCH?! :drooltongue:

16. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

:ruserious: How much did you spend? Getting addicted really takes a heavy drain on one's pocketbook. :aargh: I probably could've saved more instead of spending it on the crabs. :booboo: :giggle: :butterflies: J/K

17. krabby_katie

krabby_katie Guest

First set up was around 80 I think. With the new, probably 600 or so. :sunny:

18. imported_NotaMallard

imported_NotaMallard "Preparing For First Molt"

Since I'm only 13 I had to cut corners, plus I found the tank on the side of the road! It was only about $100 or so, but the food and treats and shells and decorations it must be at least $150 now.

19. Chompman

Chompman Hi, I'm New Here!

Well I had a old 29 gallon tank with the hood for a florescent light that I use for the uva / uvb lights I have bought also for them that was used for fish a long time ago and they lived in there for close to 2 years until a birthday present of a 40 breeder tanks so I guess I can't count those. ;)

Otherwise my first order of shells from naples was almost $41, my second order of shells from The crabbage patch was another $51 that came with some free crack... err I mean worm castings that has addicted my guys to it.

My main order of regular supplies from pet discounters was probably around $100-$150 dollars but not to sure since that was almost 3 years ago but it included a large cocohut, two turtle plastic ramps (one large and one small I use for ramps) , a hiding cave or two, a few food items such as dried coconut and such, some water / food dishes, salt to make salt water and the dechlorinator, some temperature and humidity gauges, a 30-40 gallon uth, a combo hood, a thermostat, and a 3 pack of eco earth.

Since then I have bought some more play sand, eco earth, some cheap shells at craft stores, a few uva / uvb florescent lights, various moon glo and day glo lights, a 10 gallon tank, 2 glass tops for the tanks (one of which I have broken when I spilled water on it when it was hot and since that I use plexiglass for the main tank), another combo hood and thermostat for the 10 gallon, a large collection of herbs and such from mountain rose herbs (easily around $50-$70) , another hiding cave or two, a few more gauges, more salt for salt water and dechlorinator, a few pieces of cholla wood, a few bags of moss and various plastic plants.

I just went shopping over the holiday time and got about $70 worth of stuff for them, including 2 bags of 5 ounce worm castings from here.

And you wonder why people who sell them say they are cheap pets to take care of.... :chuckle:

20. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

The very FIRST was a 1.5 gallon mini bow from Goodwill.Currently I have a long and flat Kritter Keeper with 1 crab.I use sand(thankfully I never was stupid enough to use gravel!)Now that I know what they actually need,I'm planning on getting either a 5.5 gallon,or a 10 gallon fish tank with 2-3 crabs.I'm trying to keep it under $50.
    (trying being the key word! :chuckle:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.