1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many is too many in a tank?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by DecAbbersMama, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

I have a 10 gallon and have grown such a love for my guys, there are three in there. (They are all small, 2 use 1/2" shells and 1 uses 3/4".

I am thinking of maybe getting 1 more - not right away, but in a couple months maybe, (I will probably have a new tank by then, but JIC I don't) would it be too much to put one more that size in there to bring the total to 4 small?

Just wondering when is too many based on tanks? Thanks in advance.

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Your probably good at 4 POSSIBLY 5 if they are small.
    when you get a new one they have to be ISO'ed for a while to destress, some people recommend 4-6 weeks, I do my crabs 2 weeks and see how they act if they are up and about and really outgoing then I put them in the main, if not I leave them another week or so. They ARE addicting, I am siting at 9 right now and plan to be there til i get a bigger tank, only have a 20 gallon long right now.

3. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

I believe the proper number is one per gallon. I think crabs could be comfortable with a little less, but i would prefer to be able to get as much room as possible for them and why make them have to feel uncomfortable at all? Four isn't bad for ten gallons at all- i have three in this plastic tank that is most definitely not near that. Personally, i think you're good for now. (myself, on the other hand... needs to get some money quick for these hermies! =])

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I would put three in a ten gallon. Four would be pushing it and 5 would be a little too many. A lot of crabbers will tell you different thing. Some will say 10 gallons per crab and others will say one but I like to give them four or five. Generally others say 3-4 per ten gallon tank is good, though.

5. DecAbbersMama

Thanks for the input. Like I said I am in the works to get a new tank (or add onto mine) but I was just wondering. I am on the look out for any that need homes, or if I find a strawberry I will definitely get it.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Strawberries are really difficult to find. I've never ever seen them! Plus they need like 20 gallons each and they need very strict temps and humidities. Craigslist has twenty gallon tank for $10. It's really great. You can get a 50 gallon for just $20!:)

7. DecAbbersMama

I keep an eye out on my CL for a bigger tank, but my husband might shoot me if I do it this soon haha.

I think if I want to get a Strawberry route I will wait til we move and buy a huge tank and then order them :) But I have read that on a rare occasion people come across them in stores or for sale/adoption.

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

A 20g long tank with 2 small strawberries will seem crowded based off of their activity level and how much room they need. The tank will be even more destroyed than an overcrowded situation with non-straws. Straws are just very active crabs.

I wouldn't put more than one more guy in your 10g, and only if he's similarly sized. I had 2 bigger guys (3/4-1" shell openings) in a 10g when I adopted them, and believe me, I was ready to move them to my 30g tank. The amount of cleanup I had to do every morning (moss dragged into water bowls, all sorts of things upended, the noise at night, etc.) was horrendous. So no more than 4 in your tank right now.

9. DecAbbersMama

I wouldn't consider putting more then 1 more guy in the tank I have now anyway, but I am going to have a new tank by then anyway. (As soon as it current inhabitants molt), If I got straws I wouldn't get them til I had a 40 or 50 gallon.

Was just curious, thanks for all the input :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.