1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should i wait for the molting crab??

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Spuggly, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spuggly

Spuggly Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey Guys ! I'm new to hermit crabs and can use a bit of advice. One of my crabs buried themself yesterday, he was really lazy compared to the other crabs so i thought he might molt. I'm really excited to find out if its a molt. I was just wondering how long they usually stay down for if molting? The crab is pretty small maybe 2 inches long tops. Any other tips?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Is he new? He may be destressing--if you have had awhile its varies per crab- that little might be 2-4 weeks it really depends- they don't always molt right away but can rest up before they molt.

3. Spuggly

Spuggly Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks :) I've only had the hermit crab maybe 2 weeks. I kept looking on here for more info and read about them burying themselves to destress. Its been 2 whole days since i saw him, so I guess only time will tell.:D

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Thats a tricky question, I've found that it depends on the crab. I've had mine stay down anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months!!

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

And I have a couple who just like to dig tunnels. They are down for days at a time, then come up for food and water, only to go down again.

6. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

he aslo could be not useto the temp of the tank and is just ajusting to the heat and humiy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.