1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long have you been crabbing??

Discussion in 'Caribbean Vacation - COL (Chirping Out Loud).' started by LHC-lover, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LHC-lover

LHC-lover Hi, I'm New Here!

I figured it may be interesting to see where everyone stands in their hermit crab experience. I mean as far as how long you have owned them and any other stats you can offer. (ie. successful molts, death count number of crabs when started and now. etc etc.)

I have had my crabs for almost 5 months now.. started with 5 now have 7. I have not had any moults yet, nor any deaths, but countless shell changes. I read about their care before I got them, so I knew what I was getting myself into. I thank God for the Internet as all the books but one is terribly out-dated and full of misinformation. I have been surprised that some of the sites have not been updated as often as they should, that is why I like forum based sites, more than the standard web-site, though I have found a few that are quite good.

So what about you?? I am quite interested in knowing about the site owners expertise, as I assume he must know a great deal being he runs a site dedicated to these guys. I have not found an intro thread on him, but I may have missed it. So, everyone, including Jason, how long have you owned your crabbies ?

(just thought this may be fun)

Kev.

2. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

well, i think i've had crabs for about a year. total, i've had about six and i only have one now =(. um, i've had 6 moults, only about 2 shell changes. i cant really think of anything else to say so i guess thats all =)

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

Hi Kev.

I am sure it will not surprise you to learn that you have been keeping crabs longer then I have, since I have only been keeping them for about 3 month. I started with 3 in a 20 gallon tank, and have since upgraded to a larger tank and have a total of 6 hermit crabs now. I gave up counting the number of shells changes after there were a handful over a weekend and they started changing into each other shells, just to try them out. I have had a least three molts so far, and one of my jumbos just went down the other day to molt.

I agree with your comment of out-of-date information on the web. Since before I took over the forum, I have been reading thru every forum and site I came across on the web about hermit crabs. I have read every forum post on this site, as well as every other forum, except the ones that required uses to login. This is why I had purchased this forum in the first place. I wanted there to be a place where people were free to read thru the posts, and not have to join in order to do so. Of course the more people that join the better the forum we become. I was also worried that Eric might just give up trying to sell the site and just close it down since he had been trying to sell it for a couple of month and no one was interested in buying it. While I would have liked to be an expert on hermit crabs, I thought I would try to build on the old forum and let the users pass on their experiences, which is what a forum is all about. If I was an expert, I would have created a website on hermit crabs, and not bought the forum but I have always loved animals. So I bought the forum, and have been learning ever since.

Jason

PS. Interesting IP you have. You seem to share it with another user on the forum.

4. LHC-lover

LHC-lover Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow thank you Jason, never would have thought I would get such background, I am impressed. I have not been owning hermit crabs that long,(not much longer than you) so I can not say I am an expert either, that is why I joined here. Seemed more comfortable than many of the other sites.I like the feel and the look here. I do not get much computer time, so this has just been a perfect home for me to read through some of the older posts and learn a lot myself.
    I did, however, not understand by what you meant by the following...
    I have Earthlink, I am sure lots of other people have earthlink... I am logged on presently while on holiday in Tampa Florida...Saw the Bodies Exhibit at MOSI and then I will see Rent at the Performing Arts Center when it opens and then back home. I have been here Since The first week of July, and yes, I took my crabs with me.
    Started out watching my brother graduate from Law School and then went to a couple local trade shows for the Construction industry and now I am finishing off with more fun things to do. I have a lap top so if I need to I can log on from anywhere. But my home here is with my brother and his family, and I do call it home quite fondly as he is my only surviving relative.
    So I am not sure what you meant by that but I am quite new here and do not know anyone... but I wish I did.

Kev.

5. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

We got our first crabs last October. We started out with Shellie and Hermie. I was very inexperienced and one died and I bought the living one a friend. Since then the other original one has died and I've bought 5 more. I now have Daisy, Blue, Hermie, Shellie, Speedy, & Tiger. Shellie has molted 2 times and is under again. Speedy, Tiger, Hermie, Blue have all molted once and Dear little very shy Daisy just found a shell she likes. She will be the next one to molt. She is my largest one. Her shell is about the size of a ping pong ball and i'm very nervous for her to molt. I need deeper sand asap. We have come to really love our crabs. They are all very social with the exception of Daisy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.