1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long for a jumbo molt?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Tammi\'scrabs, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tammi\'scrabs

Tammi\'scrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Does anyone know how long jumbos are down when molting? Bell and Beast went down abot 2 weeks ago. I know I won't see them for a while, but how long? Thanks, Tammi [​IMG]

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Hi Tammi,
    Jumbo's can take up to 6 months to resurface after going down for a molt. This depends primarily of the size of the crab in question. It is also not unheard of for a jumbo to be "pre-molt" for a period of time up to six months before they decide to dig down. They need to spend more time gearing up for the molt simply because of their size.

All crabs are different and have their own time table in which it takes to complete a molt. If they are baseball size or larger, I would curl up with a good, looooong book and be patient! Remember, though it may be difficult, do not dig them up to see what they are doing. Molting is especially difficult on the larger(older) crabs and digging them up could prove to be fatal. Chances are that if a crab that size should perish, the death smell would be rather strong.

It is very possible that your crabs may come up in 4 months time or sooner. I have had small crabs take more than 2 weeks to molt, so take a deep breath and be prepared to wait it out. [​IMG]

3. Tammi\'scrabs

I have a feeling there won't be much 'premolt' with these 2. [​IMG] Both were pretty ashy and they're eyes were really cloudy. I think the guy they came from didn't offer much for them to molt and stuff. Wihtin 2 days of making a special ISO (20 gal long) for them, Bell went under and hasn't moved. Beast was up and down for a couple of days, but since then he's just down. I didn't figure I'd see them any time soon with my average sized guys taking a month. I know it will take some time. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the reply, Tammi

4. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

I'm sending good molting vibes your way Tammi, Jumbo molts can be stressful, not only for the crab but the owner as well. I hope all goes well. Kepp us updated!

5. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

I second what Wendy explained. She took the words right out of my mouth. Night everyone!

Cappa

[​IMG]

6. Tammi\'scrabs

Well, for several days after they went down, I could hear and sometimes see Beast moving in the sand. And for the last week nothing. So I decided to look under the tank with a flashlight. And I am proud to say both are doing fine. [​IMG] But I couldn't see any signs of exo or anything. I'm just waiting. But I won't hold my breath (that would take tooo long) [​IMG]

7. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Sending molting vibes your way.. [​IMG] It took my biggest brute Mufasa almost 3 months to molt he ate alot when we first got him drank tons salt water then went down and for over 2 months had me super worried. But is doing fine now since his molt and is back to the silly, stuffing his face crabby he is.. One of my other big guys Lowrider ate & ate & ate 24hrs a day for about 3 months was drinking alot to and finaly i noticed a small nub of a gel limb where he is missing his small feeder pincher and then he went down for few weeks and now hes topside and by the salt water dish barely moving and the gel limb is now way much bigger and longer. So i think hes gona pull a topside molt on me, i sure hope he makes it thru. [​IMG] Keep us posted on your big crabbies.. [​IMG]

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Tammi,
    Any update on your crabs? My jumbo has been down for 9 days....uuugghh! It is going to be a very long winter.

UUGH! The stinker came back up LOL-he's just playing with me now [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.