1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is this as a kibble?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by imported_NotaMallard, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_NotaMallard

imported_NotaMallard "Preparing For First Molt"

I have a split household. Every once in a while for three or four days I go to my dad's house. My crabs are at my mom's. During those three or four days I can't expect my mom to cut up fresh food or rehydrate things (she has fibromialga, a debilitating disease). So I decided to make an almost-complete kibble. All my mom has to do is make sure there's food in the dish, which is a lot easier on her.

Ingredients (in no particular order):
    Pinto beans, lentils, salmon, bloodworms, tubifex worms, egg, chicken, rabbit, octopus, parsley, potato, red pepper, green pepper, sweet potato, carrot, spinach, banana, coconut, black mushroom, oyster mushroom, seaweed, cactus, calcium supplement, rose hips, rooibos, spirulina powder, bee pollen.

How is it? Is it lacking in any food groups? I could add more fruit if I have too little. I need people's opinions!

[​IMG]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Maybe some barks or leaves. But even if you don't add those in to the kibble, you could feed them to them when you are back at your moms.

3. imported_NotaMallard

Thanks! Maybe I'll leave a small oak branch in there. For the chitin, correct?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

The wood would be the celluose. The chitin would be leftover exos from shrimp, lobsters etc.

5. imported_NotaMallard

Ooooooh... I'm sorry. All these words get mixed up in my brain. Thanks! :oops:

6. chryss

chryss Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi - So it appears you grounded it all together huh? Everything is dry right? Just curious - I would love something like this for occassions when I am not around as well.

7. imported_NotaMallard

Yep, I used a spice/coffee grinder for most of the things, and added the smaller stuff later (i.e. bee pollen, fried egg bits). The crabs like it too, I gave it a test run while I was there and saw a few at the dish. And my mom appreciates the simplicity.

8. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

I would add some more fruit in there,Dehydrated chunks if you can.Maybe a little more color too,it looks a little bland.I think the crabs would get tired of powder after a while,they need to be able to take things apart. :smallhi:

9. imported_NotaMallard

Alright, I'll chop up some papaya. It's colorful and it's fruit. Probably a dash of dehydrated river shrimp too, for variety. Thanks for the feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.