1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I got rid of mites

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by imported_Donna M, Feb 20, 2012.

1. imported_Donna M

imported_Donna M (Micro Crab)

I'm putting this post in the '911' forum because that's where my original posts were about the problem I've been having with what I believe to be booklice in my tank.  They were appearing in the fresh water dish and I saw some white dots on the shredded coconut bark substrate. I never saw them in the salt water dish or food dishes, though.

I usually heavily mist/moisten the top layer of substrate daily with regular dechlor water.  Some of you had mentioned using salt water instead for moistening the substrate, so I did.

Guess what?  The lice were gone within 24 hours!!  Apparently the salt water killed the little critters!  I used the same salt water ratio that I put in their water dish.  It's been about 10 days and the mites have not come back, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (I also got rid of a small houseplant I had near the tank, in case it was the mite source).

I'm so relieved!  Thanks again to all of you on this site!  Your support is SO appreciated.

Donna M

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

PHEW!  Glad to hear the GOOD News!!  :hermez2: