1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you protect this??

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by leathaface, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leathaface

leathaface Hi, I'm New Here!

One of my crabs are molting under the sand and i don't want to disturb him by moving to ISO.

I wanted to separate and protect him from the other crab using the 'partition' method. But the problem is, he's dug himself RIGHT NEXT to the side of the tank and placing the plastic dome around him would touch him a bit. Any ideas? :)

Also, the other guy seems abit lethargic and has been eating alot as well. :p
    Any thoughts on whether a molter would attack another molter?

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

As long as your other crab isn't showing signs of aggression toward your molter, I think you should be ok. I don't isolate my molters and I've never had a problem. Molting is stress enough, and when you move them it stresses them out even more.

Make sure you have plenty of water for them and calcium rich foods in their dishes. Bird cuttle bone, egg, egg shells, etc.

As hard as it will be, keep an eye on them but don't disturb them. They instinctively know what to do. :)

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I don't think a molter would attack another molter. If you want to make sure they dig away from eachother so they don't disturb eachother you can isolate the crab who is currrently molting with plastic to section it off.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yes. I agree with Mckenny. I would not move them and feed the others more calcium if that's what you are worried about. I would never move a molting crab unless it's an emergency. It's not something I do every time they molt. I just leave them there and they figure it out on their own. For me, it has worked every time.

5. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

If I were u put every1 execept molter dude in the iso tank

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think that would be just a hassle. Most likely, your ISO conditions are worse than the main tanks. What happens when a crab molts in the ISO? I think you should just leave them alone and it should not be a problem. I'm sorry if it came out a little rude. It was the only way I could think of to say it .

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree. You should let them be. You can just put a soda bottle over one if they are digging too close to eachother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.