1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you Crush acorns???

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by HermitPaws, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

well after trying a rolling pin and a metal meat hammer, i thought i'd ask "How do you crush acorns?" their really hard. and also i read in a Posion plant book that acorns are posionus. it said you should boil before eatting. should i boil them too?( Already know to soak in salt water.):confused:

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Did ya give it a hard whack?? I know a few people who have fed acorns and the crabs ate them and are ok.

Can you give the link you read that on?

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

I wish i could But i got it out of a Book. i think it was called " Poisonus mushrooms and plants." Can't rember who wrote it.

Also do you soak walnuts too?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'v enever soaked walnuts.

Ok, Im going to do some searching

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

ok most of the sites I found said they were posionus to horses, sheep, deer etc. Mainly in large amounts because the tannins caused damage.

In humans, it can be the same if eaten in a large amount. It did say that most people can't eat an amount that could be considered fatal due to the raw acorns bitter taste.

Here's what it said to do.
    A better method is to peel the acorns, place them in a container, and cover with water. Pour out the water after 24 hours, and replace with fresh warm water. Three or four changes of water with this non-boiling method should be sufficient to leach out all of the tannic acid.
    Once leached, the acorns must be ground into flour and then dried to ensure a long storage life. If you have a meat grinder, you can coarsely grind the just leached acorns while they are still wet and easy to grind. Then the coarse grind should be dried, and then finely ground with a hand mill, stone grinder, or heavy duty blender. If you're out camping, the acorn meal can be ground between rocks.
    You can use flour in bread, muffins, pancakes, grits, soup, etc., either alone or mixed with wheat or corn flour.

here's the site
    MIRACLES OF OAK & ELDERS

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I had no issus at all- put in a plastic bag- hammered them slightly and they opened right up!

7. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

According to Julia Crab's list, acorns are fine. Her directions are to crush them and soak overnight in salt water and drain before serving, preferably on a silver tray. Just kidding! Or am I?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.