1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i get things settled...

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Dragoncrab9, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Dragoncrab9

Dragoncrab9 Hi, I'm New Here!

I think i'm  a bad crab holder because I really don't have a good tank setup right now all i have in my tank is store bought water bowl and the water itself. store bought food bowl don't worry i never ever used the store bought foods so i fed them well. and got only eco earth as their substrate and store bought fake reptile plant and that was it.

and what i did which i shouldn't ever do but had to do it to save my crabs was to give them the humidity they needed. the eco earth was drying up which made their humidty go low to I dig them out and pour 2 1/2 water in the substrate and stir.

here's a list that i'm trying to get for my ten gallon tank:
    play sand
    salt water
    more fake plants
    a cholla wood in crab addicton store also an hemp net.
    An humidifire(that i wouldn't know how to use. so i'm going to need help for that)

that is all i'm thinking of other than moss too that is all need.

this is what i have already:
    a log
    some fake plants, but they have wire in them (which i am angry at it's very hard find just plain pure plastic plants these days :scream:) so i am thinking is going to craft store will they have pure just plastic plants there?
    and the ones that i have already that i've told you in the paragraph.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You're NOT a bad crabby momma!  :hug2:

We've all made some rookie mistakes simply because we didn't know.
    I use EE and I keep it moist by using a spray bottle.

Wire in the plants is ok as long as it isn't exposed.  If the wire is showing I've used Florist tape or even Duct tape and I've even used aquarium sealant and sealed the ends that way.

Store bought bowels are fine as long as they aren't metal.  Make sure if they're slippery or deep that the crabs have a way to get in and out safely.

It'll all come together......to get some extra ideas go to the section "SAY CHEESE" and see what some others have done with their tanks.
    Keep us posted on your progress.  :straw:

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Dont worry about the metal plants. As long as the metal is not exposed its fine. Ive had my plant in for 5yrs now and it has metal in it. I also have parrot bowls for water. They are 'D' shaped so I can put them up against the glass. They are very light weight. I dont like the reptile bowls cause they are so heavy. If a crab would dig under the bowl it might smash the crab. If you can get some small leaf garland and a sheet of needle point plastic mesh to put on the glass and watch them climb. You can get them at a hobby store. It took me over a year and 5 deceased crabs to get the hang of it. Sometimes things happen for no reason at all and you will beat your self up trying to figure it out. Hang in there you are doing fine.

4. CrabsRus

CrabsRus Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't know if this is true or not because I am very new at this too, but my humidity raised up just by putting a glass lid on my tank.  I know it was something they needed because within 12 hours the activity level in the tank increased tremendously.  They are all out and about.

I just got the hemp net from the Addiction Store and it is sooooo cute! I haven't seen them actually on it but I have seen sand trails from them crawling around.

I have learned so much from this forum so far and am so thankful for it!!  My crabs are happier too! :straw:

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You are correct crabsRus. A glass or plexiglass lid is important. A screen lid will not hold in the humidity.

6. Dragoncrab9

Dragoncrab9 Hi, I'm New Here!

if i put a glass or plexiglass over will my crabs suffocate with no oxygen in there though? 

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

you do need some type of small air vent to circulate air & to prevent mold. I have a 55 gallon tank and glass lids on both sides and they have just enough room when I slide them all the way back they create slits, because they don't fit tightly that allows air to circulate and still keeps the temp and humidity in. You can see if your will do that if not you might have to drill or cut a small hole or holes into your lid somewhere so you have fresh air.