1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I help my crabbie?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by danofofano, Apr 29, 2011.

1. danofofano

danofofano "Never Molted"

:sad5: Well my crabby charlie isn't adjusting to his tank. He is in his shell almost 24/7. He only comes out when absolutely needed. He was kept in poor conditions when i bought him but now I am taking good care of him. I'm scared that he might not make it. How could I help him? :sad5:

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Heya,

You'd have to give us a few more details about your tank. Temperature,humidity, substrate depth, how long you've had him. What do you give him to eat.

He can simply be a very shy crab, some of mine still freak out when I come close to the tank and go into their shells. Also, unless you are in front of the tank 24/7, you can't be sure that he isn't out and about at some point. If your substrate isn't deep enough, he might not have enough depth to dig down and destress. Does he have hideys? things to climb on? some fake plants?

Lots of factors could be playing into your crabs mood and condition. Let us know a bit more about the conditions you have him in and we'll all be sure to give you some helpful tips! :)

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I covered the ends of my tank when I first had my crabs because my tank is in high traffic area and they would get spooked when someone walked by & their cave is at the end of the tank. To them it looked like a huge thing was coming down to attack them, this way they didn't see anything, just someone in front, less threatning & I had fake plants by it so they had some coverage to. Now they are used to it, been in the same spot since 2009.

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I agree with scoobdoo. Keep him in the dark for a whileand cross your fingers.