1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I help my crab change shells?

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Leafin and Hernandez, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It is to small for it's shell. Every day I put him in a container with air holes for 20 minutes but he doesn't get into the shells I offer!

2. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

What kind of crab is it? What kind of shells do you have? It's probably best to let him/her choose on their own. They'll change when their ready too.

3. It's an E. He sits like half out of his shell though. He also could be about to molt. I have a shell that looks like an ice-cram cone but not a babylone and two that look like whales eye. Oh, and one that looks similar to a babylone

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Please leave the crab alone and dont force them into a container to change that stresses out the crab. E's like D shaped opening shells and alot of E's are stubborn when it comes to changing they tend to take on too small shells........

5. ok, also is being half out of a shell a sign of molting? I read it was and if so, I need to get deeper substrate asap

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

no not necessarily and your substrate should always be deep enough as you never know when they will molt- let them molt in the main tank :)

7. I was looking at some today but it was $16 for 10 pounds. My mom said we could go to petsmart on Monday to get a 5 gallon-10 gallon. Thats when I will be getting my new tank, sand, hygrometer, thermometer, and possibly more crabs! I just got a $100 pay check for a voice over! (I would love and can afford a like 20-25 gallon but they stay in my room, which has no well room!) I know you are thinking I am a very cruel crab keeper but I didn't know. You see, I bought a "kit" at The Royal County Fair. It was just a booth that had horrible conditions. A tub with 100's of crabs piled all over, those plastic kit cages (about 10" by 5") woth a sponge, food shell, and enough fish rocks to cover the bottom of the tank. It was $20 and there where toys on the side. I knew nothing about hermit crabs and bought it. When my crab died 2 weeks later (Like DUH!) I didn't know why. Did I mention all the shells where painted? So know about a year later I still have that dumb kit, but I replaced the sponge, have a water dish and another food dish, have a palm tree, a rock, and shells. Naturel shells! Now I am replacing the kit tank, and getting deeper substrate.

8. NewlyCrabby

NewlyCrabby "First Molt, A Success"

Good idea,but don't get another kit,they are not good,they don't hold humidity,tempature and most have metal in it :p

9. Mine is plastic, I won't buy another kit, and well I found an annoying way to keep humidity in. Every day or so you need to wet a hand towel and drape it over the cage. It works for me, but I am still getting a new cage! it is too small to use for long. As I said, as of Monday I am getting a 5 gallon-10 gallon. I don't think you can get kits that big! The new stuff will be their day late Easter present

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.