1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big do Blueberries and Ruggies get? And what is the smallest?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by imported_Yadokari, Jun 5, 2012.

1. imported_Yadokari

imported_Yadokari Hi, I'm New Here!

I often get the answer of about the size of a softball, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the Ruggies and Blueberries reach this size...or smaller...or bigger? In that case, what is the smallest land hermit crab?

Thanks so much!

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I heard blues get 3" <-leg---leg-> way (it is possible they meant shell opening size). I have a blue and he could sit on a quarter so he is still a babe. Ruggies, I dont know about so someone else will needa answer that. And I believe E's are the smallest. They grow to about ping-pong ball size I think

3. imported_Yadokari

Thank you, Katz!

My little Blueberries are about an inch now I think, and still very white. They seem happy in their current home, but I was thinking ahead for their potential adult size. Hopefully someone can chime in for my two ruggies.

Wouldn't it be adorable if there was a super tiny land hermit crab? Like a baby hermit crab that never grows up. I guess I was wondering for a moment if such a land hermit crab exists. But E's are pretty small if they only grow to the size of a ping pong ball!

4. Klabelle

I would love to have a crab that stayed small forever.
    Even though E's do get pingpong size, their scrunched bodies are so cute!

I was at the petstore a few weeks ago and there were baby PPs that were nickle sized.
    They were sooo cute but my boyfriend wont let me get anymore lol.
    I want at least 2 or 3 of each species so knowing the sizes would be beneficial as well.

I'm planning to get a 300g wide aquarium in a few years or so, so I can have more room for them. But the tank alone without shipping is 2500 because I want starphire glass panels.

5. imported_Yadokari

When my little guys get bigger, I would love to do a nice big display aquarium too. At the moment their current house is just TOO cute though! And they seem happy enough in it. It looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Of course they don't have any of those tacky decorations, expect for the bridge. When time allows, I want to make them some custom ceramic decorations, dishes, a new bridge etc.

I do wish they could stay tiny forever though!

6. Klabelle

personally I like the bridge but havent been able to find anything big enough for apollo (my largest and uses a 1 1/2"-2" opening shell). He's my pp.

This is my tank and crabs if you wanna see. Mine are in a 40g wide tank and run around all over the place and knock everything down  :scream: everyday I have to rehang and put stuff back up so I definitely wish they were still small. I found the shells I bought them in the other day and then looked at my crabs. They've grown so much!  :sad5: