1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big can crabs get?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by MoribundMaverick, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

I've seen jumbos, and I have a jumbo, but I'm wondering... how much bigger will he get?? Does anybody know how big the largest hermit crab is/was? I googled it but I just kept getting pics of coconut crabs...

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Link didn't work for me, One_Onion. A few videos on youtube show how big crabs are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVhLJmmQZc&feature=PlayList&p=B348161140E9A00A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKTbfkprGws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4gbzZULpRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flnMoSghUzs&feature=related (cute tiny crab in this one too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKYU_JJwjQ

Note: I think the last one is marine (judging by the water in the background and the shape of the shell opening and the crab's same-sized claws), but still massive.

4. Spiral

Spiral (Micro Crab)

I've heard that they can grow to the size of a small melon. But then again it would depend on the species, with Indos and PPs being some of the largest and Es and rugs the smallest.
    Somehow I believe that they can all grow much bigger if provided with larger shells.

5. emmac350

Crabs will die if they can't find a shell big enough, which implies that if they can find a shell big enough, who knows how big they'll get.

Oh, and the new picture of the hermit crab looks...well...not that big. Sorry, One_Onion, but he doesn't look all that big to me, dunno.

6. Spiral

Spiral (Micro Crab)

Actually they won't really die. It just leaves them more vulnerable. There are pictures of huge crabs in tiny shells, broken shells, coconut shells, glass bottles and even naked, floating around the Internet. Anyway when you are at that size I guess that no one would want to mess with you.

7. MoribundMaverick

I know that crabs have indeterminant growth, but I also know that they have a typical lifespan of so many years. I was just wondering because my biggest is an estimated 35 years old and he's super huge.. was wondering how much bigger he could potentially get. A melon size!? Crazy.

8. MoribundMaverick

WOW I just watched those vids... my crab is just a little bit smaller than the crab in the fourth vid that walks away, the one tagged being in Puerto Rico.

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Lol, I think One_Onion tried to find the smallest micro crabs and post it as a joke. :)

10. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hey! I was going to quote that from Emma!

But yeah it's amazing how large hermit crabs can actually get. It is shells as emma said that kills them eventually, which is why the coconut crab hardens its abdomen after about a year so it doesn't need to try and find giant shells. In mean, remember the shells are made by gastropods and there's only so big a gastropod can get. I understand what you say spiral but they will die eventually if they don't find a shell.

Stevo.

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I saw a tube picture with a land crab (related to the hermit crab) that doesnt wear a shell and it was hugging a trash can. As tall as a trash can. Like a monster you would see in a movie.

12. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I think that sounds like a picture of a coconut crab i've seen!

All i've heard is softball-size for hermit crabs.

13. emmac350

I couldn't find the video when I was looking earlier, but a while back I saw a video on youtube of a guy who was holding a hermit crab in a shell as big as a football. It was a land crab, too, based off of the sizes of the claws.

14. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

That's really big!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.