1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hood and Lights

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by DEBBIE, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Okay, I need some help here. I've had pp's for over two years and never had the money to get a hood and lights for them. For Christmas this year I'm asking for the hood and lights. Can anyone tell me the best ones to get and where?

Also I don't have an uth because I used a heating pad once and I think I killed one of my pp's with this. Whats the thinking on this? I live in NC and my husband is cold natured and my house doesn't get below 70 degrees.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I use an uth and have not had any problems. I just recently switched to an Ultratherm heating mat from a zoomed uth. I love it and it could be insulated. It keeps my tank at a toasty 82° and could go higher but I use a dimmer with it.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads?mobile=0

I don't use a hood or heat lamps but I hear these are good:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/236053/i/4/product.web

The temp inside your tank shouldn't fall past 73° if you have pp's. My pp's are much more active with the higher temps I maintain for my exotics.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

.I just bought a little space heater with a thermostat and keep that in the room where the hermit crabs are. When the heater kicks on in the house I also have the space heater running in the room and the temp in the room is a constant 78. I'm not fighting with the heat anymore and just need a low watt day and night glow bulb. It will help most of you in the long run.

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

maybe you had the wrong size pad for your tank at the time and thats why you think you killed a pp with it, either your tank was to hot or wasn't hot enough and not creating enough humidity? just a thought..

5. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

When I first got my crabs I had them in a glass bowl and the heating pad was under it, that's when one went down to molt and I didn't know it. I have them in an aquarium now.

What can I say, live and learn!

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone.

Debbie

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

we all can say live and learn, cause we all do the  :BangHead:!!!!