1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honey Types

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by krackersmom2, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Has anyone experimented with different types of honey....like clover honey, wild honey etc.? Also, can crabs have wheat germ and would it be nutritionally beneficial to them?

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ive use colver honey, Orange blossom honey and wild honey comb
    they seem to like all honey.

3. Shelia

Shelia Hi, I'm New Here!

I have honey comb from a tree the hurricane blew down. It is older, black, was that way in the tree, from a previous batch of bees and new comb there also. Is it OK?

4. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

The only honey I use is normal organic local honey from my farmer's market along with the comb. I'm not too sure about the other sorts, but I know Vicki sells a few different types in her store.

5. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Krackersmom, I recently bought wheat germ for my crabs, and they're still alive, so apparently it's okay. LOL! No actually I saw it on the "safe food" list.....

I have a question for anyone about giving honey to the crabs. Isn't it a sticky mess? Do you just put a little in a small dish? Don't they end up with gummy claws with sand stuck to them? I just can't picture crabs walking through a dish full of honey (even a small dish). Yuck! My crabs walk through the food dish all the time.

Thanks,
    Donna M

6. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I usually stick the end of a small piece of oak wood in the honey and swirl it around a bit so that it's like a lollipop, sort of. Then I set that in a dish. I have no idea how everyone else does it though, that's just something I've found that works well.

7. krackersmom2

I have some scallop shells and I usually drizzle a little in there and wash it out the next day. The crabs tend to track some sand into it.

8. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

I guess what you're saying is to give them just a little, so they don't bathe in it. (LOL). Makes sense. I'll try it. Thanks!

Donna M.

9. krackersmom2

YES.....LOL, I can see a big blob of sand moving across the tank after they roll in it and try to bury:D
    You can also order coconut oil and red palm oil from VCKUMS. YOu can mix the oils with some of their dried foods to rehydrate them. They love the cocnut oil!

10. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

Oh wheat germ is awesome! I recommend the raw more than the toasted. I use the raw in my Coconut Commotion mix. It has really good nutritional components like omega fatty acids and I can't remember right off the top of my head what else.

I've tried a couple of different honeys. Buckwheat honey didn't go over well in my tank, but I got this Zambizi (rainforest honey) at the healthfood store and they went wild! It was about $14 dollars for a jar though.

All honey is good honey but the crabs have their preferences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.