1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Recipes

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by kuplakrabs, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I was wondering if anyone else makes up a special "mix" of different foods to serve to their crabs. I thought we could post our different food combination recipes here [​IMG]

I serve fresh fruits and vege's, but I have about 45 individual "dry" foods that I serve on a rotation basis combining different foods each night. Recently, I have made a few food combinations that are already mixed for those nights I'm feeling lazy LOL [​IMG] or just too busy and don't want to put any thought into what I feed them.

Formula ONE
    2 TBSP Flax Seeds-mackinlay gnc
    1 cap Red Raspberry leaf pwdr-gnc
    1 tsp Frz Dried Mealworms-flukers
    1 cap Spirulina-gnc
    1 tsp Krill-hikari
    1/2 tsp Anole Food (flies)-zoo med
    1/2 tsp Jurassi-cal
    1 tsp Carrots/Greens & Rasp/Coconut-kaytee healthy toppings
    1 tsp Doc Wellfish salt crystals

Formula TWO
    2 tsp Trace nutrients (humates)
    2 TBSP Frz Dried Raspberries
    1 tsp Maximum Greens-gnc
    1 tsp Dulse Granules-maine coast sea vegetables
    1 tsp Kelp Granules-mcsveges
    1 1/2 tsp Mixed Nuts-kaytee healthy toppings
    1 tsp Pacifica Krill
    2 TBSP Dried Grapefruit Pith (measured before crushing)
    2 tsp Missing Link-Omega 3

Formula THREE
    6 tab Bromelain (from pineapple)-gnc
    4 cap Wild Yam-gnc
    1 cap Bee Pollen-gnc
    1 cap Dandelion (root pwdr)-gnc
    3 drops Pumpkin Seed Oil
    3 drops Black Currant Oil
    1 tsp Tubifex Worms-hikari
    1 tsp Purple Macroalgae
    1 tsp Brine Shrimp-wardley
    1/2 tsp Frz Dried Crickets-Flukers
    1/2 tsp Bladderwrack-mcsveges
    1/4 tsp Doc Wellfish salt crystals

All of the ingredients are put into my food chopper and then blended together. I just made number 3 tonight, so I will see if they like it tomorrow. They LOVED the first one and are eating the second tonight.

Soooo, anyone else want to share recipes?

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

OK Wendy, now I feel like a bad crabber. LOL now I have to go shop. I have some of the things on your list, but can you tell me where you get your stuff? Do you buy it online, and if so where?

3. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Well now I will be making some special stuff up as I have all this new stuff for them to try. Thanks Wendy, Your the bestest!

Cappa

4. kuplakrabs

Tricia,
    Actually a little of all three. I have recently found that GNC carries a lot of things and since they are "human grade" I feel better about giving them to the crabs. The seaweeds (dulse, kelp and bladderwrack) were purchased on line at www.seaveg.com and the rest of the things were available at the pet store.

I usually look through the anole, gecko, & turtle foods to see if there is anything that catches my eye with out nasty preservatives. T-Rex has a new bunch of foods that boast "human grade ingredients" right on the label. I also like the Hikari Bio-Pure brands of freeze dried foods. I started thinking about the lack of nitrogen the crabs must be getting (which they would get in the wild from decomposing insects/animals) and thought I would give the freeze dried mealworms, flies (lab raised), and fd crickets a try. They love the flies-ewww (which is Zoo Meds Anole Food).

Tricia, you should be getting your package tomorrow. I sent you lots of fun goodies too.

5. kuplakrabs

Formula FOUR
    was a gigantic success. There was standing room only in the food dish.

3 Frz dried Cherries
    4 Frz dried Banana Slices
    1 TBSP Frz Dried Strawberries
    1 tsp Laver (seaweed)
    1/2 tsp Dried Orange Pith
    1/2 tsp Kaytee Healthy Toppings Mixed Nuts
    1 tsp Frz dried Hikari Daphnia
    1/2 tsp Alfalfa
    1 tsp Chamomile flowers (organic)
    1 tsp Black Castings (worm poo-organic)
    2 cap Spirulina (gnc)

This is more of a treat [​IMG]...I think I may add some freeze dried shrimp to it as well.

6. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Kupla, where do you find all of the freeze dried ingredients?

7. kuplakrabs

I found the fruits at Spring Valley Herbs on line. Here is a link

http://www.springvalleyherbs.com/catalog.php?category=Dried%20Foods

My son adores freeze dried strawberries and I have been looking all over for a place that sells them at a decent price.

The rest of the freeze dried things like krill, daphnia, mealworms, crickets, etc I get at the pet stores around my area.

8. SuperMom

Thanks Wendy for aaalllllllll the goodies. I have some very happy hermies. They seem to really like the worm poo. [​IMG]

Anyway thanks again, and I have been doing a bit of shopping.

9. kuplakrabs

You're welcome Tricia! They like the worm poo, eh? Did you make your dh feed them the castings LOL. Can't say I blame you about the krill-that particular kind smells really icky.

10. SuperMom

Yes, accually he makes up most of thier dishes. I just tell him what to put in them. [​IMG]

11. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

hehe. Every time my boyfriend comes over, he makes up these great dishes for the crabs and the tortoise, and also feeds the turtle and snails.

12. kuplakrabs

My husband wouldn't have a clue what to give them LOL. He really has no interest in my crabbies. But he's a good guy and doesn't razz me about it [​IMG] He's pretty tolerant of my addiction.

13. MamaMia

MamaMia Hi, I'm New Here!

[​IMG] man i feel bad my crabs get cherios, crab cookies, hermit crab cakes. What should i be giving them..... I've just started taking care of them they've been in the house under someone else's care since Jan 2004. They have a fresh water bowl the foods i mention and a peice of drift wood. I feel like such a back mother when reading thee post. Also i've just put an brine srimp cube in there ( it's still frozen) should it thaw out before placing it in there? And should i be grinding up their foods?

14. kuplakrabs

Hello and Welcome to the HCRU Family [​IMG]

The things that you mentioned are not going to hurt them if fed in moderation along with a varied diet. Cheerios contain salt, which is not good for the crabs-however, a cheerio or two now and again will not kill them. The hermit crab cakes may contain Ethoxyquin which is a preservative that has received much controversy and debate in the pet world as of late.

The key to providing proper foods is to look at their native habitat. They would most likely encounter things like seaweed, kelp, spirulina, shrimp, krill, plankton, fruits, and of course decaying animals (I know...eewww!). There are a lot of great items to feed them that they may not find in the wild also. The most important thing to remember is that offering a wide variety (the larger the better) is key to stimulating their appetites and encouraging them to eat.

You mentioned their water bowl. I was wondering if you have a dechlorinated (sea) salt water bowl for them as well? All species of crab benefit significantly from having both fresh and salt water available to them at all times. This will allow them to properly control their body's salt & water content (osmoregulate) and have more successful molts.
    Table salt can not be used to make salt water for them because it contains man-made iodine which is toxic to the crabs. You will need a salt mix that is used to make water for an aquarium (available at most pet stores) such as Doc Wellfish or Oceanic Natural Sea Salt.

As far as the frozen brine shimp, I would probably thaw it myself. I'm not sure if they would eat it frozen-try it an see what results you have. Any pellet food should be crushed for two reasons. First, if you have small crabs it will be easier for them to eat. Second, I have found that crushed food is less likely to be dragged out of the dish and left in the substrate to mold.

You are off to a good start now that you have found HCRU! Please continue to visit and post often. New members are what keeps us going [​IMG] and make things interesting. Here is a list of a few foods I thought of that are usually available at pet stores (do not contain ethoxyquin)

Commercial Food Suggestions:

Flukers Freeze Dried Crickets
    Flukers Freeze Dried Mealworms
    FMR Land Hermit Crab Food
    FMR Land Hermit Crab Treat
    Gardener's Hermit Crab Food
    Hikari Bio-Pure Blood Worms
    Hikari Bio-Pure Daphnia
    Hikari Bio-Pure Krill
    Hikari Bio-Pure Ocean Plankton
    Hikari Bio-Pure Tubifex Worms
    Hikari Crab Cuisine
    Seaweed Selects - any color
    T-Rex Crab Island
    T-Rex Crab Island Fruit & Flower Food
    T-Rex Crested Gecko Meal Replacement Supplement
    Vita Sand (for calcium)
    Wardley Premium Brine Shrimp
    Wardley Premium Hermit Crab Food
    Wardley Premium Plankton
    Zoo Med's Anole Food

Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are endless things that can be safely fed to your crabs. If you are interested in a fantastic book, I would suggest investing in a copy of The All-Natural Hermit Crab Sourcebook. It has the most updated information with regard to land hermit crab care and there is a list of safe "everyday" foods as well as over 60 easy recipes. You can find it at www.thehermitshack.com or at www.petdiscounters.com

15. SuperMom

Same here, he would much rather be out with his cars. He does prepare the food for me, as long as I stand over him and tell him what to put were.(he knows I would cry if I had to touch half the stuff they eat) [​IMG]

16. kuplakrabs

LOL Tricia, you're very funny [​IMG]
    My darling husband told me on Super Bowl Sunday that I needed to get my hermit crab food out of his refridgerator in the basement because it was making the beer & pop (soda) cans smell funny LOL! I told him I would be more than happy to move it upstairs with the rest of the family food. He gave up and it is still in the basement. [​IMG]

17. kuplakrabs

Originally posted by Flower on March 17, 2005 09:40 AM

New crab treat recipe

I just started baking and whipped this up. My crabs favorite thing is apples.

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/3 cup cornmeal
    1 full apple corded and chopped fine
    1/4 cup organic carrot juice
    2 eggs
    Pinch of sea salt
    And a table spoon honey ( optional)

I then mixed it up with a large spoon. You can roll it in balls or place spoonfuls in large clamshells or tiny ramekin bowls. I then put it in the toaster oven on high for about 12 minutes. (until it smells done)
    There was a lot left over so I froze it for a later date.

Seems to be a big hit. I think this is really versatile, instead of apples one could use carrots, or shrimp meat etc.

18. kuplakrabs

Originally posted by osippi on April 05, 2005 08:34 PM

Here's one I made

Fruit frenzy

1 orange
    1 apple
    peanut butter
    honey
    1 carrot

How you do it:

Take a bowl, finely dice the apple, carrot, and orange, DO NOT use the white part of the orange, save it as a nice little treat later on, plus, it will mess up the recipe. Put it in the bowl, than scoop a couple half spoon scoops of peanut butter into the bowl. drip some honey into the bowl, and stirr well. Than place as much fruit frenzy in your food dish, and serve. Put the left overs in a zip baggy and store in fridge if you will be serving it within the next few days, or freeze until next use. The morning you wish to feed the crabs the frozen treat, let de-thaw for the day, and serve when you feed your crabs. =)

Recipe by: osippi

19. kuplakrabs

Originally posted by osippi on April 06, 2005 07:34 PM

Sunflower yummys

about 1-2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
    some peanut butter
    1 carrot
    about 2 teaspoons of honey

Crush sunflower seeds into powder in a plastic zip baggy. Than pour them into a bowl, add the peanut butter and honey into the bowl. Than FINELY chop the carrot into tiny little peices. Add the carrots to the bowl, than stirr until it is nicely mixed. =) Than let your crabs enjoy!

Storeing:
    If you aren't going to use the mixer for awhile, put it in a plastic baggy and freeze.

If you are going to feed it to the crab soon, put in plastic baggy and store in the fridge. =)

20. kuplakrabs

Originally posted by kuplakrabs on October 25, 2004 12:45 PM
    Mine went nuts over shredded coconut and dried raspberries! I liked it too

Oh and I also threw some mango, banana and coconut into the food chopper. Once it was a puree consistency, I put it into a Jello Bean mold and froze it. I just pop one out about a half hour before giving it to the babies and let it thaw.

Jello Beans are about 1" x 1/2" in size....

Here's one on ebay right now
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Oh One more thing...If you haven't already, I would suggest getting The All Natural Hermit Crab Sourcebook-A complete guide to pet crab care and feeding. You can get it at http://www.petdiscounters.com. I know I keep refering to this book in my posts, but it really is great. There is list of safe foods to give your hermies as well as 60 different recipes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.