1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hole in my Cover's screen...

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by RoxyLupin, Jun 14, 2010.

1. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

Hey guys long time no see, I've got a problem, ealier I was cleaning my tank and as I usualy do I sat my screened cover on the half I wasn't working with and started setting stuff like shells and greenry on it... well while I was putting stuff back in I accidently knocked it off and put a rather large hole in it... I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it seeing as it's a sliding lid and I don't know many places that sell replacements... * that and it came attached to the tank so I don't know if I can take the fram for it off or not... *

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

pictures? might be helpful in trying to figure out how to cover the hole. if it has a lip or edge maybe get some of the plastic mat with holes in it that the use for making rugs or cross stitch and hot glue it down or some other glue that is safe if the crabs can get to it.
    the only other thing I can think of is maybe getting some screen and sewing it into the other covering the hole. I'm a crafty person & if I see it maybe I can help ya out more

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

That is a good idea about the mesh but when it happened to me I sewed it on with fishing line then cut off the jagged edges.

4. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

Yeah Iguess it'd help to have pictures... Right now it's temp-fixed with Duct Tape...tape on both sides... mainly it was to fix my brother's fears of them escapeing and eating him, and to protect me from getting scratched by the wire...

[img=400x300]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/TrueEyeNinja/013.jpg[/img]

5. scoobdoo

the square holes look like the same size as the plastic mat I bought for the crabs to climb on, I got it at hobby lobby where they sell stuff to make hook rugs and needle point. looks like the easiest thing would be to maybe sandwhich 2 pieces of the mat or other screen after you cut the jagged edges off and sew it together. I hear ya about getting it fixed for fear that the crabs might get out and eat someone! My husband freaks when I leave the room with the lid up to clean out the food dish. I keep duct tape on the lid to so they can't push up on it to.

6. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

Lol what can't duct tape do? Well I'll keep my eye out when I go to Micheals, Hobby Lobby or Lowes. The only problem is it's woven, and unravels with every attempt to fix it... Do you think Super glue on the edges would keep it from unraveling further?

7. scoobdoo

HUMIDITY AND MOISTURE MIGHT MAKE DUCT TAPE COME LOOSE, CHEMICALS ON DUCT TAPE MIGHT HURT CRABS IF THEY GET TO IT?  :think: JUST MY OPINION.  O.K. HERE'S ANOTHER IDEA FOR YA,  2 SMALL SQUARES OF PLEXIGLASS OR CLEAR PLASTIC OR COLORED AND SANDWICH THEM  & USING SUPER GLUE OR HOT GLUE AROUND EDGES? NO SEWING! CAPS ARE ON CAUSE I'M AT WORK, SHHHH.... POSED TO BE DELETING BOOKS BUT BEEN DOING BOOKS SINCE 9 A.M. IT'S NOW 2 P.M.!

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I know several crabbers that use clear plastic packing tape in their tanks with no problems...and they've been doing it for many years with many crabs.

9. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

well I've got my first commission in several months so I'll be coming into money and cat fix my screen...What I might end up doing is trimming the loose wire, glueing the edges with super glue to prevent further unraveling and sow the plastic mat on with tapastry thread *Nylon thread*