1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

holding my crab

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Trista, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trista

Trista Hi, I'm New Here!

how long can i hold my hermit crab? can a person hold it too much? do i need to wash my hands more? is it better to hold my crab at night?
    if you could answere some of these questions, it would be very helpful.

2. trixie554

trixie554 Hi, I'm New Here!

im probably no help becuase im pretty new to crabbing, but i hold it at night and failrly often..:)

3. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

I hold my hermit crabs often too. I take them out during the day and at night, but when I hold them during the day I make sure they're already awake so I don't disturb them. The main reason you wouldn't want to leave your crab out of the tank for a long time is because the humidity is probably lower outside. As long as your crab doesn't seem very scared when you hold it I think what you are doing is fine. Oh, and you should wash your hands before holding your crab! ;)

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

If you want to hold your crabs, that's up to you. Some people do, some don't. If you do hold them, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water so you don't expose them to any lotions, oils, etc. You can hold your crabs for a while before you need to worry about the humidity level. If you take them out, you can mist the air around where you're planning on holding them so the humidity will be a bit higher.

If you don't have the time to hold them but want them to still get exercise, you can make an exerciser out of a large Rubbermaid container or a hard baby pool.

Don't take your crabs out of any hidey holes you have for them, and don't wake them up if they're asleep (inactive and doesn't notice your movement). Crabs can take a few times before they get used to being handled, so move slowly and calmly so as not to scare them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.