1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiya, I'm now kinda obsessed I think (and new :-) )

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by DecAbbersMama, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

So my story is average. I was given a hermie by a woman who runs a store by the beach for doing her a favor. She gave me some great info on where to start (Glass tank only, open wire/mesh lid, don't bother with store bought food, etc) and that they had to be kept within a certain range of temp, but never mentioned humidity, but I will save that for my questions :)

We had Seacil, (bear with me, I don't know what any of them are, I will post pictures of them later) and we got Jaws. Well, I don't believe Jaws has very much longer with us :-( He lost a leg yesterday after being seemingly healthy and happy, and has been lethargic since. My bleeding heart son told me Jaws couldn't go to heaven yet, because Seacil would be lonely, so I made the mecca out yesterday and returned with 2 new friends for Seacil so he would not be lonely. So now we have Wasabi and Sushi :). I really hope Jaws pulls through, but I am not really sure.

The more HCs I am getting, the more I am enjoying them and want to do right by them. They are in a 10 gallon glass aquarium, sand substrate and plenty of shells and things to climb on, play on, etc. So I have a couple questions.

We keep the house at 72, but the room they are in is about 75 or 76 degrees constantly. I do mist them twice a day, and they get dipped every night now too.

Should I get a night glo lamp?

Also, what is the best way to create humidity in the tank, what has everyone found to be most effective? (The woman who gave me Seacil said to stay away from sponges for the most part because they breed bacteria. Is she right?)

Is there any other pointers for helping my hermies and new loves be happy?

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know all of you and yours :)

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I responded to your other post about the moon glow and misting and such, but one thing - you don't need to bathe them nightly. I give newbies one dip into salt water (ocean water with a saltwater aquarium mix, no 'hermit crab salt water mixes'), then nothing. Give them bowls deep enough that they can bathe themselves and they will. Crabs keep water in their shells to keep their abdomens moist, and they mix it up to the right concentration of fresh/ocean water, so every time you bathe them, they have to re-mix it. It's kind of a long process - did you ever have to do those labs in chemistry where you had two different concentrations of a chemical and had to combine them to get a third concentration? That's what crabs do, except they can't figure it out ahead of time with the formula, and it can take them a while to get it perfect. So give them deep enough bowls to submerge in, and let them do it themselves!

3. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I also replied to your other post but wanted to post here to be sure that you see about the stress,
    the new crab losing legs is due to stress, they need to be in a quiet room with not alot of foot traffic right now, and should not be held at all, and definatly not bathed for 4-6 weeks. They need time to get used to their new surroundings they have been through alot being stolen from their nice warm beach somewhere shipped to a distributor then a pet store then you. It is VERY stressful for them ;)
    Welcome to the addiction, they WILL drive you crazy!
    Also with a 10 Gal tank I'd say your probably at your max with 4-5 med sized crabs. they need lots of room to climb dig and molt.

4. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

You'll definitely need to make sure your substrate and humidity are ideal. For sand, it needs it be moist, like sand castle texture but it shouldn't drip when you squeeze it. Humidity needs to be 70% to 80% relative humidity. I would highly recommend a plexiglass lid (just a piece cut to the tank size, they'll do it at lowe's and I think maybe home depot too) to keep humidity up. Also, calci-sand (also known as "hermit crab sand") is NOT GOOD. When calci-sand gets wet, it's known to smell kind of funny, but worse, when it gets wet, it doesn't go back to the same sandy texture, it hardens like cement. It can get stuck and harden in their shell, or when they go down to molt, if the calci sand gets wet around their shell, it can entomb them and harden and they may never come back up. :(

5. DecAbbersMama

Thanks for the pointers.

I have Jaws in ISO. He has been eating some, but is having a hard time walking :-(. I have had him a couple months, I thought that he wouldn't have lost the leg to stress after being seemingly well adjusted and happy. The newbies are having a great time too. I just spent MORE money at the store buying stuff for them :). I will have to dampen the sand tonight when I bring them out to play.

Jay

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Welcome to Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us!!! In no time at all, you will become a very knowledgeable crabber!!!

7. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I don't think you should take them out to play just yet. like I said, give them a few weeks no touching. Picking them up, holding them, putting them in a new environment to play and then back in the tank, bathing and such is just too stressful for them. They will start to drop legs and eventually die. I deffinatly learned this the hard way after coming home clueless with 6 of them for my sons 4th B-day and having only 3 left by the end of the week.

8. DecAbbersMama

Yikes. I dont want to find out that way :-(

I haven't been handling them, (only seacil who has been around the longest) not yet anyway, I was going to move them to add new toys and things to the tank. Maybe I should just let the whole bunch be for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.