1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by sarah, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sarah

sarah Guest

hi all

new to hermit crabs and hoping to learn more about them , i have 3 , 2 i got from a really good aquarium store and the other came from a petshop, they live in a 18inch tank though i think i will be upgrading the size tank soon, they have washed sand as substrate and driftwood and a couple of clay pots to seek shelter in, im interested in finding what else i can put in their tank that will make it look more like their native habitat

cheers

Sarah

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hello Sarah!

Check out the pictures section for tank ideas. Members put up pictures of their crabs and tanks.

:teddy01:

3. sarah

sarah Guest

:thanks:  will do

cheers

Sarah

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oh also, we do contests here and sometimes the prizes include decorations. Keep that in mind if you have a digital camera!

5. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

:vinkko:, sarah and welcome! You've come to the right place!

The people here are really helpful and resourceful.

Have fun and enjoy your stay!  :pinkr2:

6. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Welcome Sarah! 
    I bet your crabbies would thank you for doing some research!  So ask all the questions you want!  We kinda like the Hermies here, so we will be glad to help out!  :cheesygrin:

7. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Welcome!! :duck:

8. :hello:

HI!!!!

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME to the world of crabby people  :vinkko:

10. queenofthecrabs

queenofthecrabs (Small Crab)

Hello! :wav:

11. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

Welcome! Ask as many questions as you want! The best part about this site is that there are so many experienced crabbers to give their advice. I would be lost and Kirby would probably be dead without all of their help!!!!!!!!!!!! :blowheart:

12. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

One good way to simulate their natural environment is to use live plants, namely, bromiliads.  I don't know the exact procedure, but you can even cut the head off of a pineapple and start a live plant from that.  Also, I have used live spider plants which are also safe for crabs and a common houseplant.  Be careful to use an organic potting soil. 
    NOTE:  The crabs will eat/destroy your live plants and will dig in your soil so this option can be messy.  Most people prefer silk plants (no wire--rust is bad for crabs).

13. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

I used a little spider plant baby in mine.  We just used a small terra cotta pot and buried it in the sand and filled the pot w/ EE.  EE and other brands of cocofiber are used in hydroponics and the plants like it just fine.  What's funny though is that Jedi is right, they will burrow and eat it.  I found a big hole right in the middle of the EE in the pot.  Steph had to remind me to make sure to look that no one was in there when we did the deep clean.  I just went and put it in the iso-type tank I had everyone else in just in case there was a crab in there that wanted to reappear while I was cleaning.  Hey, they can eat as much of the spider plants as they want, I'm never short of babies sprouting up on the hanging one to replace them with.