1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, there. :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Ameliasaur, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Ameliasaur

Ameliasaur "Never Molted"

I'm Amelia. My boyfriend and myself very recently bought 2 PP hermies.
    I had never owned any before (though, I've always wanted some) and my boyfriend hadn't since he was young, so we didn't realize how specific their needs are, but we are more than willing to take up the challenge (we are Wildlife Conservation majors, so we LOVE animals).

Anyway, I thought I would join you guys in your addiction because I fell in love as soon as we got our hermies home and I've become a little obsessed.  :wub:
    Also, I thought this would be a good place to make sure I'm doing everything possible to keep Kevin and Jane comfortable (that's what we named them, although we haven't determined their genders yet 'cause they've been a little testy since we got them a new tank).

Thanks for reading & what-not. :thumbsup:

2. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Welcome to the addiction. I'm still new to the crabby parenting but ive learned alot here so have fun!!!! :welcome:

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

you'll want to leave kevin & jane  :biglaugh: alone anyway for the time being anyway & just let them chill out, just take care of their water{s} & food, temp & humidity needs for now. Take the time to read up on them , get ideas on how you want to make their tank the best it can be E.E. or play sand.. decorations, more buddies later on, types of food they can eat ect.. I just take take time and go through things on here that catch my eye. Congrats on your new family.

4. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Welcome! Please take a minute to read through all the stickies. This site is a wealth of information and I hope you enjoy it.

5. Ameliasaur

Thank you.
    I've been doing a lot of research since we got them, quite a bit of it on here. We did get play sand & some of that coconut stuff. We also bought fresh vegetables & fruits. I'm still working on building their cage up though.

Thank you for telling me that, I've been fretting over it for the past few days, not knowing for sure if I should leave them alone or what. Hopefully they will adapt soon, I hate not seeing them wander around.

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It could take some time depending on the poor conditions they were in. Sometimes if the conditions are bad they will put off molting untill conditions get better. Or they might have to destress and will do that under ground. So if the conditions are right you might not see them for a while . But you could get lucky and have crabbys that wont need to dig in. :madhouse:

7. Ameliasaur

At first I thought they could be molting, they dug into the coconut shavings, but I can tell they've been moving around when we aren't looking because they're always in different places the next day. I don't know if that's normal for molt? And I think they've been eating.
    I suppose I'll just have to wait & see.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:welcome:  We're glad to have you here!  :hermez2:

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

:madhouse: Enjoy the site!