1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! New to crabbies..!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by jenne03, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenne03

jenne03 Hi, I'm New Here!

HI everyone. We were on vacation in North Carolina and my 11 year old daughter bought two hermit crabs with her birthday money. She has been doing well with them and bought a book about them also. We are trying to learn as much as we can to keep the little guys happy and healthy.

Her two crabbies are Drake and Josh. Josh is kind of shy we have noticed. He spooks easier than Drake. Drake is completely outgoing and crawls all over the place.

We are confused with some of the info we have been getting. We didn't know about salt water until I found this forum! So we are going to get instant ocean from the pet store. We also see that we probably need a bigger water holder. She is using a shell that came with the kit. The crabbies can get into it..but it doesn't hold alot. IS a shell fine to put the salt water in?

we have also seen conflicting info regarding misting and bathing. The book my daughter got says she can bath her crabbies everyday or every other day and mist them on the off days. But then I read that bathing them everyday is too much and it should only be a couple times a week?

I have a lot of questions...I guess I am in the wrong forum to keep asking! My daughter and I are very excited to learn more. !!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK all your answers are here on the forum in old threads.......but to quickly help
    Bathing is actually frowned upon unless the inital bath which needs to be done in 2x strength salt water....that is to look for mites. Please see info on mites (in fact I may type something up as a sticky) anyway the crabs make the kind of water they want for their shell (lil salt here-- fresh there) and they keep water in their shell to stay moist- I havent read a book yet on crabs that had all the info right that is because due to us advocates we have come a long way in knowledge---
    We are glad you are here and if you end up like half of us you will be addicted in no time- in fact most of us are over 30 ;-)

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

You got that right :p

4. jenne03

jenne03 Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks Hermez! Yea I have gone to the archives..I know you guys must get a lot of the same questions over and over..The search on this site gets angry with minimum words and letters..ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.