1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, New Crabber with a question.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Mommyof2, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Mommyof2

Mommyof2 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi All,

I am a new crabber with 3 Hermie's.  I have them set up in a 40 gallon tank with play sand and EE.  I have 2 that love to dig and are constantly doing it and 1 that loves to live in his crab shack.  My question is, I keep 2 water dishes, one with salt water and one with declorinated(Sp?) water & a sponge in it.  I keep the temp around 78 and the humidity around  75-80%.  I was changing out the food dishes yesterday and noticed that I had a white mold growing around one of the food dishes.  What could be causing the mold?

Also, I got my crabs a little under a month ago.  They were all very active the first few weeks and now they are so laid back.

Thanks for the help and so glad to have found this forum!!!

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Hi, I'm New Here!

:welcome:
    you said that your crab are not that active they are nocturnal.  :troll:
    it sounds like your food has molded, your crab must of spilled some and then you didnt clean it up (you couldn't see it).

3. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

it is just the humidity with food just sitting in a dish. try cleaning food dishes daily. I'm in tn, after a rain my back porch is green yuck. I can bleach it, or powerwash then it just comes back. :eek:mg: :tuna: :sad4: :BangHead: :sad5:

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It could be a lack of circulation in the tank.stagnant air causes mold. Also are you feeding them dry or wet food.If you can  open the top of the tank half way at least once a day to get fresh air in it. Then close it when the humidity gets to low. But always leave a crack.I would also stir up the top layer of the substrate every day.

5. Mommyof2

Thanks for the tips.  I feed them a combination of both dry & wet foods.  It really depends on what we are eating for dinner that night (they generally get what we are eating, just minus all the spices).

I do know that the crabs are nocturnal, but even at night they are not that active.  Maybe, just de-stressing from being purchased? 

The top of the tank is the standard fish tank cover.  I don't have plexi glass or anything like that over it. 

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have the hoods on my tank too and they work great.  Good luck with your tank.  Keep us posted... :flower:

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

if your temp and humidity is right it just could be that your crabs are stressed over the mold  :eek:ops2: mine do that, one stinking little thing out of the ordinary and they freeze up, get where they don't move around unless they have to, then I have to go searching to find what's up their shell this time? a bug in the tank, some mold, what?????? :think:

8. Mommyof2

So I have got the mold thing under control.  I leave the hood up for a little while every day and stir the substrate daily.  I also change out all the food dishes daily.

I did notice last night that only 2 out of 5 hermies were up and moving around last night.  I am thinking that the other 3 finally went down for a molt.  Here is to hoping that is what is going on and they are not dead;  I am being careful when I stir the substrate so not to disturb them.  How long do smalls & micro's normally molt for?

9. Mckenny

It's usually less than a month and they can molt three or four times a year (and sometimes  more, depending on the crab)

Be careful when you stir up the substrate because the "tinnies" don't go down as far as the bigger crabs to molt and you may cause their small cave to collasp.  In their softened state of molting they wouldn't have any way of getting out and would suffocate due to their air supply being cut off.

Actually, if you aren't having a mold problem now, I would stop stirring the substrate for a  while and keep your eye on it to make sure it isn't molding again.  I go lightly over mine every two weeks when I do the straightening up and shell rinsing with the salt water mixture. 

Glad to hear everything is going good... :hermez2:

10. Mommyof2

Now you have me worried that I did that :(  I have no way of seeing/telling where they are buried down.  I have tried to look under the tank, but can't see them.  Hopefully they are ok and come up in a week or two.

11. Mckenny

:hug2:  I'm sure all is well.  The best thing to do right now is give them their privacy and be

p  a  t  i  e  n  t  :biglaugh:  (like that's an easy thing to do!!)
    Wait until they get med/large and are down for 3 months--- :eeeek:
    When they finally come back up from their molt it's a joyous time around here and I can't stop looking at them.  :chuckle:

Hang in there and keep us posted.  :flower:

12. Mommyof2

:thanks: Jellybean.  I peeked under the tank again last night and now 4 out of 5 are down.  I actually got to see them.  Rex looks so different, but he was moving a little so I know he is not dead.  Same with Yoda & Tiny.  Cody actually came up to get some food & water and then went right back down.  Now I just need to stop worrying over it and let them do their thing!  I can't wait to see what they look like when they come up!!!  Rex had the most beautiful purple BP, I am wondering what it will look like when he comes up.  I am so excited that they are molting
    :hermez2:

13. Mckenny

Things to do while waiting for the crabs to come up from a molt:

:bed:      :popcorn:      :hermiefun:      :bike:      :drums:      :silly:   

:hbaloon:      :BangHead:      :slapfight:      :scream:        :bored:

14. Mommyof2

:hahahaha: Jellybean.  I think I am going to go shopping for more decorations for their tank while they are down.  I figured I could add some stuff as long as I don't disturb the substrate.

15. Mckenny

Alright!!  Go Crazy!!    :woohoo:    (or until the money runs out)  :chuckle:

16. Mommyof2

:straw:  Rex came up!!!!  He looks so much better and is so active.  Before if I picked him up he would stay in his shell, but last night when I picked him up he walked all over my hands :walk:

Now to wait for the rest to come up  :idunno:

17. :woohoo:  Congrats!!  That is great.  How long was Rex down?

18. Mckenny

:hermez2:  YaaHoo!! 

19. Mommyof2

Rex was down for just under 2 weeks.  Still waiting for the rest to come up!