1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi! might be getting some hermit crabs

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by yuseifan, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuseifan

yuseifan Hi, I'm New Here!

hi i might get some hermit crabs because they seem really cute and cool also sorry if i had posted another thread introducing myself because i could not find the one i posted earlier

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Welcome to Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us! Hermit crabs ARE really cute and cool, and I know you will enjoy the experience of taking care of them.

3. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

hahah I suggest you do your research first so you can decide for sure whether or not it is the right pet for you and also to keep yourself from wasting unnecessary money. I was given mine as a gift and a plastic container and since then its been investment after investment.

However I must say, once i got my hands on them i fell in love :D they are worth every penny spent :D

4. yuseifan

thanks guys! and i have done the research i can afford everything but i may not be able to get a heater where i live but i think it would ok for me not to use one because its about 72-74 degres farenheit

5. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

Your best bet is probably go through with building the crabitat and setting up your temp and humidity gauges just to be certain that you can sustain the proper temp and humidity needed for your crabs. A heating lamp does not cost too much around 12$ for a small one I think and another 6 or so for the bulb. But if your saying your natural temp is already in the 72+ F outside the tank you would only have to use your lamp once in a while so it would last you a really long time. Keep in mind that you also need to iso your crabs and slowly adjust them to differences in humidity and temp. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

6. yuseifan

thanks i maybe be able to find everything at the reptiles supplies area and another question, am i looking for a wider tank or a deeper one? and if a terrarium is better for the job than a aquarium?

7. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

grr I typed a whole bunch and it didn't post! :(

anyhow, from experience I noticed a deeper tank is harder to setup depending on high up it sits in your room and how tall you are as a person. If you can physically reach in without a problem and work inside the tank easily then this is probably your best way to go. You need enough depth to develop several inches of substrate for them to go digging and playing (esp for molting!) and as well you can create multiple levels like a lot of people have done. If you look through the forums under the section about people's tank setups you will find lots of good ideas and probably spark some of your own. Crabs love to climb and don't seem to be bothered by how high they climb the higher the better haha so it seems. So building your tank upwards would be a good idea :]

I would only worry about how wide the tank is if you have lots and lots of crabs which I don't think you do and at that point wide and deep would definitely be needed.

As for what kinda of setup you decide to make to me as long as its made out of glass and you have a top that closes of your tank you are good to go. A mesh top won't allow you to maintain humidity so you will have to apply some type of plastic on top or a piece of plexi glass from what I've read. However it doesn't look the most pleasing so I decided to go to a glass top when I purchased my new tank. The glass top also allows me to heat the tank very easily and maintain my temp and humidity.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

8. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

welcome! you should totally get some hermies, as long as you can care for them properly =] they are really entertaining and great pets!

9. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Read this thread it is very helpful for new crab owners it will help you get everything you need before you get your crabs, the smoother the transition to your house from the pet store the less chance you have of losing one to PPS (Post Purchase Stress)
    http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum...t-care/3913-i-just-bought-new-crabs-what.html

Also a terrarium does not really have enough floor space.
    If you had a 30 gallon Long you could probably house 8-10 sm- med crabs
    but in a 30 terrarium you would probably have to cut that # in half because there isnt enough floor space for them to all dig and bury and I think you would run into problems with them digging each other up and such.
    Welcome to the forum, be sure to post pictures of your tank and crabs when you get them!

10. createbad

createbad "Never Molted"

welcome!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.