1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi. I'm new to this. questions about a product...

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by Hollytoledo, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollytoledo

Hollytoledo Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi! I've had 4 hermit crabs for just about two or three months now. I really wanna give these guys a healthy habitat but I keep running into little issues. Here's the current issue: I had a great piece of driftwood in my crabitat which they would climb all over and under, but it began to grow mold in the places that were submerged in the substrate. So I bought a different climbing aparatus that i thought would work really well. It's a painted plaster thing that is sold for aquariums. I also added a fake plant for them to crawl around in.
    1) I am beginning to wonder if the paint on this thing is toxic to the crabs, cuz I have read that the paint they use on the shells can be.
    2) Since I added these new things (and I also changed the forest bedding) there's a WIERD smell in the tank. It smells unnatural- kind of plasticky or rubbery, so I'm assuming it's either the plant or the plaster thing. Is this a dangerous thing for them to be breathing?
    3) Before reading around in different forums, I never thought to sterilize anything before placing it in the crabitat. All I did was rinse them with hot water. So what might happen now that I've stuck things in there without boiling them? and what other alternatives are there to boiling them?
    Please help, I'm scared i'm gonna kill my crabs!

2. Hollytoledo

:l

alright nevermind, i just went ahead and took back the thing that was making the tank stink and boiled everything else. I also added in new hiding and climbing stuff. the crabs seem to be much more active now so hopefully they're happy. I wonder if i should change out the substrate again too, since this stuff may be contaminated, but Zoid's been burrowed under for a few days now and I don't wanna interupt if he's trying to molt.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yeah, try not to put anything painted in the tank. When I first started, I removed all the painted shells once they moved out, but completely wasn't even thinking about the painted coco-hut until I caught one of them picking off pieces and eating it!!!! I freaked!

If you have painted shells, once you boil them the paint comes off surprisingly easy with a knife, but I would avoid anything that could be potentially toxic.

As for the mold, when the humidity is high, that can happen. Did you bake it at all? I have a couple of "stick" pieces that molded on me. I now bake everything and spray with dechlorinated salt water. Haven't had a problem since.

4. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Did you use declorinated water to fluff up your forest bedding?

I wouldn't put the rubber plant thing back in, or the painted thing either.

You can take everything out and boil it, but I wouldn't worry about your substrate, unless that wierd smell doesnt go away.

5. Mallie

Diamond, you ninja poster!

6. msdiamonddawg

Whhhaaat?! :)

I obviously have way too much free time on my hands! LOL ... This is like the one "fun" site my firm hasn't shut down on me yet! I can't get on Facebook, I can't view anyone's pictures, no Photobuckets, nothin'! HAHAHAHA... knock wood....

7. Hollytoledo

I see a lot of people using fake plants, is there a certain kiind that's supposedly safer? the kind I have in there is plastic with little cloth material flowers. It was superglued to a little anchor,but when I boiled it the glue broke apart and that fell off.
    Glazed pottery/dishes like bowls and coffee mugs are okay right?

8. Hollytoledo

I don't like the painted shells, but my girl came like that and she's the only one who hasn't changed shells yet!

Anyway, are you suggesting that I bake & spray the drift wood, and from then on it shouldn't mold again? Should I be baking everything in addition to boiling them or is that an alternative?

9. Mallie

You should boil the shells and if you want to use the drift wood, then go ahead and bake it and spray it and it shouldnt mold again.

MsDimond you posted while I was typing up my post in this thread. (Note: the posts are only three minutes apart or something)

10. msdiamonddawg

I bake, spray, then when I mist my tank once a day or every other day, I spray with salt water too. Works well. It really depends on what you have in terms of whether to bake or boil...

Mallie: I know...I was kidding around...:D

11. Mallie

Yeah right, I know you planned it.

=P

12. Hollytoledo

okay, thank you so much!
    one more question as long as we're on the topic: how concentrated should the salt water be? the stuff in their sw dish too. does it matter?

13. msdiamonddawg

I, personally, just put what I think is a reasonable amount of salt in their water dish and voila! Maybe not very orthodox, but they've never had a problem! :) I did the whole measuring out thing when I first started, but if I eyeball it now, I think I know what I'm doing! Same with my mister. I just put some salt in, shake it up and it's ready.

14. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I just put some in too!! Got too lazy to measure, but it seems to work fine!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.