1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I'm Kerie, and I'm a Crabaholic

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Kali_Ma, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I've bought ten crabs in the past week. Ten! I must be insane! Including the biggest crab I've ever seen, Leviathan:

[​IMG]

When he's stretched out trying to climb, his legspan is over 8 inches. Massive crab!

He's got such pretty colors, too, with the lavender knee joints.

I just hope this bad boy doesn't pinch me. I'm rather afraid of him, actually, and I have no idea what possessed me to buy such a massive crab, except that the thought of such a magnificent beast dying in a ck in the care of someone who didn't know what to do with him sort of pushed me to it.

What on earth is it about these critters that makes them so addicting, anyway? Any ideas?

2. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Wow, he's a beauty! I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you probably bought him to keep him from getting in the hands of the wrong kind of owner. I know I feel so much compassion towards the little critters. It's all part of being a nurturer!

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

As someone who more than doubled their crab population in the space of a week (27 new crabs!) I can totally understand. [​IMG] You are more than able to offer them excellent care, so why not? Leviathan is gorgeous -- I'm glad he found a good home. The big guys need extra TLC!

4. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Very beautiful crab!!!

I think we addicted because we love them!!! And when we love them, then we want to help them!!! That's the way I think of it!!![​IMG]

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Kerie,
    What an outstanding looking crab. He is just stunning! He is lucky to have you for a crab mommy. I can just imagine how thankful he will be when he he makes his home in your beautiful tank and gets to eat from the HUGE menu you have to offer him. He is indeed lucky-he is in the best of care now [​IMG]

6. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

Nice crab...... Nice color too..... [​IMG]

7. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Wow, he is a beauty! And yes, that is exactly how I ended up bringing home King Solomon, who is almost as big as yours. I just couldn't stand the thought of him going home with someone who didn't know enough about them. Nice save!

8. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

all I can say is WOW!!! He is incredible [​IMG]

9. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Kerie, he's beautiful!
    What a nice thing to know that a crab that
    has lived long enough to get that big and
    somehow found that his journey led him into captivity, has gotten you for his mom. He couldn't be with a better person. He has the
    best of care now. cj

10. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Kerie, I know what you mean, I am obsessed with buying crabs also. I only have 16 and every weekend I want to go rescue another and another.... My boyfriend has kept me away from the stores though over the last few weeks but I think about going everyday. I AM A CRAB JUNKIE!!!!!! My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I am hoping for a larger set up like a 75gal. But if I get it my addiction will get worse! Oh I need a fix, another crab, just one more. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

LOL! All ya'll are so cute!!
    Confessions of a crabaholic...
    Sounds like a good catagory/forum to start!
    ...10 telltale signs that you know you've
    been bitten by the hermie junkie bug...[​IMG]
    cj

12. Felicity Loves Animals

Hey Jennifer!!!

Happy birthday!!!
    My b-day is coming soon but still more than a few weeks LOL, more like 6 weeks!!! I'm asking for a lot of stuff for my hermies, since when I first got my hermie, I knew nothing about them, that was 2 and a half years ago, and my fist hermie is still alive!!! AMAZING!!! I think it's because I just loved him, even though I didn't take good care of him!!!!

Anyway, I hope you'll get the 75 gal. tank set-up!!! I'm asking for a 3 gal., since I need a larger room!!! If I owned this house I live in...
    Oh, sorry, I'm still 11, I think I'll have to wait for having my own house LOL!!![​IMG]

13. Jennifer Leatherwood

Thank you Felicity for the early b-day wish.

I caved in while driving by petco, I had to stop, I couldn't help myself. 3 more hermies saved! My first cavipe I think, named Maggie how could I pass him up? [​IMG] I also got a bluish green ruggie named Asta, and a pp named Clyde. Here are some pics of Asta and Clyde. I was wondering if Clyde could be an Indo, he has beady circular eyes and a HUGE bp with not a mark on it, it is pure smooth. What are the characeristics of Indos?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

You go, girl! You definitely have a Cav and an Indo there. A couple of beauties!

Notice how the Indo has white dots on the BP and legs? PPs will have dark/black dots. Also, the extra long, orangey coloured antennae are typical of Indos. Plus the perfectly round eyes, but I sometimes have trouble telling the difference in shape unless I can compare them side by side.

15. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Okay, lets vote...who thinks Jennifer should be the new HCRU Photographer. Those pictures are phenomenal...unreal how beautiful and clear they are. I am speachless.

aaack, I forgot to say congrats on your new babies. Very, very pretty crabs.

16. Jennifer Leatherwood

Aw shuks, [​IMG] You're too kind. I am soooooo excited on getting my first Indo and first Cav. Now I have Straws, Indo, Cav, PPs, Es, and Rugs!!

Anyhow my website for my Wedding photography is under construction right now, but when it is done I will have a link to my personal galleries which will have a Hermie Gallery and Hermie Identification Page, (hence all the questions about ID ing these guys) When its time to make the Hermie Gal, I will need all of your expertise experience on the distinguishing characteristics of each species so that I can photograph those specific things of each. I would like to take some real close ups of the antenna, Bp, stitch marks, eyes etc,etc. so that all of us newbie crabbers will have and easier time distinguishing one from the other. If any one needs images for this site I would be glad to donate, just let me know what you are looking for.

Happy Crabbing
    JEnn [​IMG]

17. Felicity Loves Animals

Hello!!!
    Go to the picture message board, and then click on "The sweetest (and cutest) dog, Blakey-Poo", it has my dog, finnally!!!

How do y'all like him?!?

I will take more of him later!!!

I get my pics from a Pocket PC, not another phone that just has camera, so these should better pics then they usually are!!!

I hope y'all like him!!!
    Anfd thank you for looking!!!

18. Jennifer Leatherwood

Felicity,
    He is gorgeous, don't worry some day you will be able to have more crabs, I am sure that you are a wonderful crabby mommy to the ones that you already have [​IMG]
    Jenn

19. crab*grrl

crab*grrl Hi, I'm New Here!

I found a white Rugosa (Ghost) and a straw (Berry) on my last trip to Petco. They are both so gorgeous!! And I can't take any pics, since my husband (bless his heart) DROPPED the camera and broke it, and it has to be sent out to Canon to be fixed. I could kill him. [​IMG]

20. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Congratulations on the white crab! Thats got to be absolutely beautiful. I'm actually not going to buy any more crabs unless I find some smaller ones that either really need a good home, or have interesting coloring. I'm happy with the six ruggies I have now, and the new tank I have is pretty much set up for small crabs. I think a jumbo like Levathian or the one I got for my grandma would absolutely destroy my set up overnight. But at least it would have fun lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.