1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi guys! New owner (Humidity question...)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by TiNk3R, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiNk3R

TiNk3R Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello..

I've got my tank setup as such...

10gal with 3/4 cocunut substrate and 1/4th calcium sand. I have 2 dishes both with sponges. A little hut and a climbing "branch" - I use a sea shell for food. I use a reptile heater on the bottom on half the tank. (The light and pad are required afaik to keep it up above 70degrees)

Two questions...

First: I use a metal grated top and a red 60 watt heat light. I am struggling to get my humidity to normal. I have TWO different humidity (the round ones like a clock) gagues which one reads like 30% and the other 65%. Are these wack or what's up? (PS i spray the tank every now and then to keep it up... the substrate is warm and quite damp with condensate on the sides)

Second: For their waters I use a "2 step" deal. One is to purify the water (Drinking water) and the other is salt bath water. Wouldn't I want to use the purifier in both? This "kit" just says to use one in one and one in the other.

Anyways that is it. I have 2 little guys and 1 medium guy. The two little ones have already molted. They're all 3 active in the night/mid day. They seem rather happy and content. I am just really really worried about the humidity.

Tink

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

First did you use calci-and? If you did that bad. If you go to Home Depot They have those big bags with playsand in it for $5

3. TiNk3R

TiNk3R Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't remember the brand name but yes it's the medium sized bag of blue sand. I'll look at home depot thank you.

I was at the pet store and I saw some nice glass tops that I can throw a long bulb in it. However don't they need like a "night light" (I currently have a red) so it's not daylight 24/7? I couldn't find any long heat bulbs for night...

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OK. FIrst you should calibrate your gauge. There is a sticky in the general care section that will explain. In the water you should purify both before you put the salt in. Instant Ocean is a very good brand too. You should probably get a night glo bulb. They provide a lot of heat but don't give light. Any lights that give light should be turned on and of every 12 hours to make a night and day. Also, the sticky in general care called I just got crabs what do I do now? is very helpful. :)

5. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Yea, your humidity guages are probably wack. I don't use heat lamps often but I am from Texas so my temp stays pretty high up there... however sometimes in the winter I turn on a lamp and it seems to dry up the humidity really quick. I may get blasted for this, but I'd say as long as the inside temp is good then you don't really need a lamp all the time.
    Also make sure your sand is deep enough for the crabs to completely burry themselves. That's one of the reasons the people were saying to use playsand- it's just ridiculous to try to spend THAT much money to completely cover a 10 gallon or larger size tank with calci sand. Also, calci sand tends to not be the consistancy crabs like. They like it to be "sand castle" material... enough for them to dig well, because when they burry themselves they have a little "den" type hollow thing under the ground and they can't really do that with dry sand or calci sand.

6. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

You can use the red bulb, they don't really need the light at night so if you need the heat you can either use the red bulb or get a moon glo bulb. I used a day glo by exoterra and a moon glo by exoterra. They were great. For the humidity if you didn't get the glass lid you can add saran wrap to the lid and leave a spot for you heat lamp and air exchange. Just tape the saran wrap to the top of the metal screen and leave enough space for your heat lamp to sit so it doesn't touch the saran wrap and melt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.