1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by sarah86, Jul 11, 2008.

1. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

Hi,

I'm from the UK and about to be a new crabber, I've ordered two small-medium purple pincers and they will either arrive tomorrow or on Tuesday  :woohoo:. I've done loads of reading on the internet to make sure they will be properly cared for, ordered 16 more shells (most of which are turbos) a 20" vivarium with a glass lid to keep the humidity up, some eco-earth, and everything else that I need.

Do you think the vivarium would be big enough for 4 crabs?

Sarah  :straw:

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Yep, that should be enough room. You will have room to provide some climbing space. Make sure your eco earth is twice as deep as the largest shell of your hermies.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:madhouse:  :hermez: Im Hermez your poopologist  :yes2:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to the site!  :huggies:

5. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

please excuse HERMEZ... :chuckle: (weirdo)--I mean, uh---AHEM...

Anyways, welcome to HCA! And to the wonderful world of the hermie addictions! :rockon:

6. Hermy88

Hermy88 Guest

Hi!

Just joined too! Bring on the hermie lovers!

:hermzpoo: LOL! Seriously?! Never knew there was such a thing. All hermie poop looks the same to me.

[​IMG]

7. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

My two crabs arrive tomorrow :straw:, I'm really looking forward to setting up their new home. The vivarium and the eco earth is coming with them but I went to the petshop yesterday to buy some pieces of wood that they can climb on and hide under (they form a couple of caves) some silk plants, water dishes, treatment stuff for the water (salt and dechlorinator). I've made up the water already to make sure its safe, £100 spent so far :eek:ops2: (approximately $200)

The thing we're stuck on is names- is it easy to tell what sex the crabs are or shall I just assume?

I'm already planning to order two more  :rubhands:

8. Hermy88

Hermy88 Guest

DANG! You're going all out are you?

As for the telling the gender of your hermies that's going to be job for you because underneath the body ( part that you do see ) are a certain amount of spots that indicate whether it's a male or female.

I forgot how many indicates the male or female but I'm sure some one will be happy to tell you more. I'm just telling you what I remember reading somewhere.

Enjoy! And spoil your hermies!

[​IMG]

9. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

I think everything is more expensive in the UK  :scream:

10. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

:scream:
    I am so mad! The idiots who I've ordered the high humidity vivarium from and the rest of the crab stuff and the actual crabs have majorly stuffed up my order, the viv is out of stock, the eco-earth is out of stock, the crabs haven't been sent special delivery so god knows what state they will be in the poor little things. I do have plastic boxes that I could house them in temporarily but they have offered to sent a terrarium instead- if they let me have the one I want then I'll agree to it but if not I'll hold out for the original one that I ordered. I placed the order on Friday and its taken them until now (2.30pm the day the stuff is due to arrive) to let me know that things are out of stock-  :crybaby2:

Hopefully I'll get my own way and have two more crabs to make the numbers up to 4 (praying that the two in the post are okay) and a bigger crabitat sent to me at no extra charge, the one I ordered was a 10 gallon but the one I want instead is 18 and £20 more expensive :rubhands:

I knew something had gone wrong because the concierge always brings up my deliveries and it's very rarely that they arrive after 11am.  :BangHead:

ETA: I've now got the 45x45x45 terrarium coming tomorrow at no extra cost and have asked for two extra crabs, would it be wrong to bully them into giving me a heat mat too  :chuckle:

Editing again:  :chuckle: 2 more crabbies are being sent free of charge too - woohoo  :banana:

11. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

WoW! They sure did mess up your order! I'm glad to hear they are making it right and fair by sending what you had requested :yes2: It sounds like everything will work out great now :sunny:

12. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

I am pleased that they have sorted it out well, I've been sent a terrarium that's £20 more expensive, been given back £10.99 delivery costs and also sent two more crabs free of charge and they are £5.99 each so I've done well  :biglaugh: I'm still a bit disappointed that I have to wait an extra day but at least the crabs will be in a group of 4 and have a bigger crabitat.

Can anyone tell me whether T-rex superfood is okay to use? I ordered it because I wasn't sure at the time of what I could feed them, but now I've seen they can eat quite a lot of foods (do they like herbs- I have a herb garden) I think I'd rather just bin it and feed them fresh?

13. Hermy88

Hermy88 Guest

At least in the UK they do the right thing......Unlike some countries.

Glad to hear everything's sorted out.

[​IMG]

14. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

http://www.petco.com/product/10999/T-Rex-Sandfire-Super-Food-Leopard-Gecko-Dust-ICB-Insect-Cricket-Balancer.aspx

^is this the food you were talking about?

I'm glad they are fixing your order, that's awesome!  :spunky:

15. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

No it was a hermit crab food but it didn't come anyway so they are eating prawns, berries, peas and cuttlebone.

They arrived this morning, they are the biggest small- medium crabs I've ever seen, I was told on the phone that they weren't much bigger than an inch so purchased 8 really pretty polished turbo shells from them, the smallest one has had a good look at them all and I think he fancied them but they aren't big enough so I'm giving them all to my friend who has two small crabbies. The shells are magpie turbos and I think they are about 2.5" so its a good job they stuffed the order up and we've ended up with a bigger tank, they can't even get in the hermi hut I ordered so we put some plants up and arranged the pieces of wood so that they have dark places to go, I don't think the water bowls I got are now large enough though, two can get in them at a time and they can fill their shells up but I'm not sure that they can fully submerge- do they have to just get the opening in or the whole shell. When they arrived three of them were pretty active but we were worried about the largest one so we put it in a box on its own to come round and it went and sat in the salt water dish, it's now the most active of them all and definitely the bossiest, it keeps shoving the others out of the way to get into the corner.

I've only managed to sex one, it has two dots on its third legs so am I right in thinking that one is a girl, I haven't managed to get any of the others to come far enough out of their shells yet- I'm leaving them to settle into their crabitat for now and I'll have a look in a few days or so.

I was also worried it was going to be a bit cold in the house but it seems not, the room temperature is reading 26 degrees C and we don't have the heating on- is this too hot for them, I can open the window to drop it a bit?

None of them seem aggressive either, we haven't had any pincers waved around- my boyfriend is pleased that they are all big and all too large for the gold mouthed turbo's I'd bought, he thinks they are too girlie.  :hahahaha:

I'll take some photos of them later on when they are out and about and post them tomorrow  :straw:

16. Hermy88

Hermy88 Guest

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

[​IMG]

17. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

You might be waiting a while, they are all hiding towards the back of the tank, I can see one through the glass so it looks like I have a tank full of soil in my room  :chuckle:. I'm assuming that they are doing this because they are acclimatising and de-stressing. Oh well the longer they are doing that for the longer I have to get extra shells sorted out that are large enough- I've ordered some not so pretty ones from the UK that will be okay until the better ones from the US arrive.

And you'll never guess what.... the original high humidity vivarium that I ordered came today so the other one that was sent as a replacement is totally free  :chuckle: Depending on how the humidity holds up in the terrarium one I might move them to the high humidity viv and put some extra levels in and let my leopard gecko's move into the terrarium  :think: I won't do it for a while though.

18. marg

marg Guest

Hiya Sarah welcome to the forum, did the first lot of hermies not arrive then?
    I'm in the UK too can i ask where you ordered them please?

19. sarah86

sarah86 Guest

Hi,

Thanks, 

The first lot arrived on the same day, they were packaged well in damp moss in a container with air holes and then put in a cardboard box packed out with newspaper with holes in and labels all over saying it was a live species and to keep it the right way up so they were fine. I got them from www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk, they can't guarantee the size of them but you can phone them up before you place your order to see how big they are, I called on the friday when I placed my order and was told they'd be little over an inch and he thought they had 1 or 2 left but my order was sent out on monday so the crabs I received were ones that had just arrived. Finding shells has been a bit of a pain- where do you get yours from? I've ordered some from e-bay but the ones that are big enough aren't exactly very nice so I went and ordered a load from the US as well  :chuckle:.

Where did you get your crabs from? I heard that Pets at Home sell them but I called a few stores and they said they don't anymore, there is a shop in Leeds that gets them in occassionally and another that can get them in on request. How many do you have?

All four of them were out and about last night, 2 were munching on the food I mixed up for them when we went to bed but they all must've been out at some point because they are back in different places this morning and the soil has moved, they are quite vocal, I keep worrying they are fighting but it seems they are just getting cross for stepping on each other or bumping into each other whilst hiding under the soil. I've definitely got two girls but I will check them all once they are more settled, take photos of them and hopefully they will change shells when the new ones arrive because they are all in the same shells at the moment (I think they are natural magpie's) so it's quite hard to tell them apart- I'm sure we'll learn how to once they are out and about a bit more.

I haven't dared to let one crawl on me yet, they don't seem to be aggressive but they are quite big which is a bit daunting and I had a bad run in with one whist I was on holiday in the maldives. My boyfriend had one crawling up his arm and said it tickled, he then put it on my stomach and because I was wearing tanning oil it pinched and wouldn't let go  :sad5:, eventually some sudden movement made it go back into it's shell and we took him off.

20. Hermy88

Hermy88 Guest

Sarah: When ever I get new hermies they tend to do that too....after wearing themselves out and trying to escape..... :rubhands: I tell you they're something else altogether.

But that's how you make memories with them. I know I'm going to have loads with this lot because as soon as I got them 3 escaped. :O Got them back safe and sound thank goodness.

I had to rename one because of what happened. XD

[​IMG]