1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everyone I just joined

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Elise, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elise

Elise Guest

Hello! My name is Elise, I live in South Australia and I have just one crab as I had two die this morning because of some totally inaccurate advice from a pet store sales assistant. Thus I have started researching in order to protect my remaining beloved, Siegmund, from a similar fate. :tear:
    Would love to hear from some of you :shake:

2. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Hello and welcome Elise! :wave:

Glad that you found us! If you're still looking for info on hermit care, take a look at the basic care sheets to the right.

I'm sorry to hear about your first two hermies. :( But it's cool that they are willing to help you search proper care.

3. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

Welcome! I am sorry abpout the losses, but you are ready to learn, right? :petals:

I will give you some basics:
    You will need~
    1. humdity gauge (must) The humdity should be around 70-80%
    2. temperature gauge (must) the temp should be around 72-80 degrees F
    3. substrate (sand is the best and cheapest. You can buy crab soil or eco-earth at pet stores. NO GRAVEL, hermit crab cannot molt in this. You may use gravel in a small area of the tank, just not as the main substrate)
    4. a lid that holds in humdity.
    5. 2 or more crabbies (they are social)
    6. Tank deco (plants, cocohuts, wood, nothing with metal please.)
    7. Oh yeah! And a tank. Those wire cages are bad for crabs. They don't hold in humdity and can rust (toxic to crabs if eaten)

I think i got everything.... :headscratch:

4. cuddiebear

cuddiebear Guest

Welcome Aboard! I am also new here and can tell you that everyone here is VERY friendly, and also very helpful. :blowheart:

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

So glad to have you here with us all :hareiam:

6. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Welcome! Petstores never give good advice on hermit crabs. Live and learn. Don't give up on crabbing! It is very fun and fascinating once you find the crab community and get some correct information and start having success in crab keeping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.